• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Out of Business

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Casa Paloma

Reaction score
While in the hospital for my fourth heart attack, wife sold my few cows and horses. Said we couldn't afford to keep them and pay the medical costs, so she sold them to a neighbor. He picked them up today and was happy to supplement his herd (especially since he got them all below market value). She assured me that once things settle down I could get back into the game - but this time with miniature donkeys. Anyone out there know anything about raising miniature donkeys? Could use any advice offered. Are they even considered livestock, or are they just pets?

Casa Paloma:

I am sorry to hear that you've been laid up, and put out of business. I had been wondering where you were hiding, but thought you probably were busy with the spring's work, like most of the rest of us.

Welcome back!!!! I'm glad you're still with us :lol:

If I hear of any mini donkeys I'll let you know.

Take care of yourself, we need your humor here.

TTB

I'd say selling cows at present market values would be cool, but selling bargains would cheese me off.

Think about running some goats. Seriously, they'll make more money per acre or per unit of labor than cattle. you just need a good dog to run goats.

Casa Paloma said:
While in the hospital for my fourth heart attack, wife sold my few cows and horses. Said we couldn't afford to keep them and pay the medical costs, so she sold them to a neighbor. He picked them up today and was happy to supplement his herd (especially since he got them all below market value). She assured me that once things settle down I could get back into the game - but this time with miniature donkeys. Anyone out there know anything about raising miniature donkeys? Could use any advice offered. Are they even considered livestock, or are they just pets?

Surely sorry to hear of your health problems. Hope your posting here means you are doing fantastically well.

The miniature donkeys must be awfully cute! The little burro's we have seen roaming in Custer State Park in the Black Hills surely are cute, and suppose the mini's are somewhat smaller, but similar. I've been tempted by ads for them, on occasion. Might not be allowed to unload one here, tho!

We have seen quite a lot of TX, and enjoyed our travels through your state. Several times up and down about the western third of the state, and most recently drove down through Ft. Worth, touring around some of the lake country, Fredericksburg, and south east through some mountains to San Antonio last Feb. Then went to Corpus Christi and Kingsville and back to the northeast up through Houston enroute to Jackson, MS. Really enjoyed our time there, though it rained often and was a bit cool. Never say the sun, but for one morning the ten days we were in TX, which seemed a bit odd to us. We look forward to our next trip down there.

Take care, and sending prayers and good thoughts for you continued healing.

MRJ

MRJ

"Yup"....welcome back, Casa!!! sure hope you are healing well...ya know, you must now avoid stress and take it easy...yeah, right :wink: :wink: Have, indeed, missed ya!!! take care

Casa,
First of all get well, and what ever you decide to do make sure it is something that does not adversly affect your health.
Secondly, I hope the hell the tazer gun story was just a story!!!!!!!
We too have toyed with the idea of selling our cows. The market is good and my husbands health is not the best. And like MRJ, we have vacationed in Texas and loved it. I could retire in Galveston.....

Casa Paloma,

I am sooooo sorry about your health!!! I hope you're doing much better - but please take all the precautions...take care of yourself... so no more!!! Love your posts, BTW. :wink:

Appreciate all the kind words. Have to sneak in to the computer since the boss is playing nurse and won't let me do much of anything except sleep, and even while I'm sleeping she sneaks in to check to see that I'm breathing. Guess this scared her more than it did me but she puts on a brave front and would never let me know. I'm sure I'll be back to normal in a few days, except this time without the smokes. Hard to give up something I've done for 60 years, but have decided I want to stay with this old lady for 60 more years - she is sure worth it.

Having spent 26 years in the military and 20 years in law enforcement we decided to vacation in east Texas and found this place and immediately fell in love with it. The economy is so depressed around here that they were practically giving away the land, so we bought and moved and started a small ranch with a few head of cattle and horses and were really enjoying the lifestyle - even with all the trials and errors involved in learning the ranching business. Grew up on a horse ranch in west Texas but joined the military to get away.

Things have certainly changed in the way I perceived ranching when I was a teenager. Back then I did what I was told, when I was told, even though I didn't really understand why it had to be done. Now, when I am responsible for the ranch and the way things are run, you start to realize that there is so much to learn around each turn - and you'd better learn it the right way or you won't be around long. I can't emphasize too much the importance of this board and the appreciativeness of myself in all of you sharing your experiences and knowledge with this crusty old fart.

I can understand how she feels. Had a scare a couple of weeks ago when my husband was kicked in the stomach by a cow. It got really scarey when they started talking about a possible ruptured spleen, and the nurse walked in with a cooler of blood to take in the ambulance on the way to a bigger hospital for a CT scan, but it all turned out OK in the end. It does make you sit back and think when you see that amublance pull out on the road though. She's had a darn good scare, and she'll hover over you like a mama hen for a while. Enjoy it. :wink:

I bet you would also enjoy donkeys. We have a bunch ourselves that we use for guard animals. You will find them to be very friendly and sociable, and nice to work with. They really aren't stubborn, it's more that they are cautious. You won't see a donkey get into a wreck like a horse will. If they trust you, they'll do whatever they can for you, but if they don't trust you, good luck. They never forget anything either! Good or bad. :?

The only downside I have ever found is foot maintenance. Find a farrier before you get a donkey. Some won't work with them, and if you have one that is impatient and hard on the donkey, you will have trouble, no doubt about that. Get a good kind and patient farrier, and it's smooth sailing.

Donkeys don't eat much, and other than in our cold climate, they don't need fancy facilities. They don't like mud. They don't like dogs, but they will usually tolerate their 'own' dogs once they get to know them. I worm and vaccinate mine just like the horse. There is nothing easier to halter break. If they are handled when small, and not afraid of people, just put a halter on, and tie him up. That's it. After a while, you lead him, and he follows. Simple as that. (As long as he likes you :wink: )

Casa,
I was very sorry to hear about your illness. Guess we all need a wake up call once in awhile to get us on track though it is no fun.
Your only job right now is doing what your good nurse tells you to do! It is wonderful you have her. Though it isn't easy sitting when you probably want to be out and about.
Best wishes on your new cattle replacement ideas and smoking cessation program. With your military background you shouldn't have a problem disciplining yourself. We look forward to hearing how you are doing.

Latest posts