• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Out of power

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BRG

Reaction score
We have been out of power now since yesterday afternoon. Pretty tough getting everything watered with one generator. Lots of mouths and not enough power. They say their is about 300 poles down in our general area. Sure glad I went and purchased a bigger generator this past fall. :)

we were with out for about 3 hours today. came back on around 5pm. but the tractor and generator are on stand by :wink:

We were without power yesterday for a few hours,then off and on the next day it was very bothersome, as we were watching a movie :wink: Glad i got the animals watered before that.

Sorry to hear that BRG.
That happens too much in that SW Dakota area, doesn't it?
I remember a few years ago going to Belle Fourche, the power
poles were snapped like toothpicks all along the way.
That was from snow, is this from ice forming on the power lines?

I hope you get power soon.

The icing must be really bad in places. It took a TV tower down at Reliance (central SD) and a radio tower down at Lemmon. Sounds like the weight of the ice broke the guide wires.

Faster horses said:
Sorry to hear that BRG.
That happens too much in that SW Dakota area, doesn't it?
I remember a few years ago going to Belle Fourche, the power
poles were snapped like toothpicks all along the way.
That was from snow, is this from ice forming on the power lines?

I hope you get power soon.

Ya, it was really foggy and misty for 3 days, and the power lines are the size of an orange. Hope the weather doesn't get as bad as they say it could get.

Turkey Track Bar said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
We have been on the generator since yesterday morning. They keep telling us another hour or so. Today they were still looking for the problem. :roll:

We are in the same boat, BMR...

BRG did they get your folks online today?

Hang in there kid...

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

No, still out as of just a few minutes ago.

Thankfully they got everything watered today. Yesterday the coming 2's didn't get any, but they filled up this AM.

Help for your part of the country is on the way Big Muddy-- my neighbor who is a lineman with a construction company that has been putting in power lines to the oilfield near Sidney- just called me and wanted to know if I could feed for him in the morning (I feed his cows Mon-Thur when he's working)...He said they had contracted the company he works for on an emergency callout...Didn't know if he'd be the crew going toward Opheim east- or the one going to Turner...

Another neighbor who is with WAPA (Western Area Power) said they have one dam (I believe in SD) where they have 4 of those heavy transmission lines running out of in different directions- and 3 of them are down with power poles snapped for miles :eek: ..

Still snowing- snow is coming down horizontal with the 30+mph winds we're getting now- and with the predicted 40-50 mph winds for tomorrow - my biggest worry may be just trying to get to the cows to feed them...I got a feeling everything may be plugged up solid for awhile..Wind isn't supposed to go down til Monday...

I just tried the "Outage" line. They are not answering it anymore. They have a recording and the area without power is getting larger. :shock:

Snowing again here as well. :?

Boy, tough go down there. I thought is was miserable here today and then read this thread. Here's to sunny, calm and warm tomorrow.

I thought we had it bad a few years them hericanes tore hell down here. We were out for 9 days on the first and 13 on the last. Now problem with the cows or horses but us humans sure caught hell. I got a old onan. It run everything but the aircondition. I had got a little fat that summer and Sure suffered. We got a river house on a clear run. Water clear and pure enough to drink. We loaded up and made the 30 mile treck and cooled off in the creek. We have sure got sorry with a c. I hope u folks fair ok and got plenty of wood cut. God bless yall.

Clear last night until the sun came up and then the fog rolled in for the day. Now that the sun is down it has cleared again. :roll:

As Soap might say, snow on the ground but none blowing around. :wink:

I talked to a guy that works for MDU here last night. He said he hadn't slept for 3 days. Power was out at most all the towns north of me. Lots of major lines were down between towns. He thought it would be 6 to 8 weeks before some of the lines would get fixed. I feel very lucky.

Brian

Latest posts