• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pasture and Shade

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ben H

Reaction score
Here's a debate I can see both sides of. On one side it is considered the humane thing to do to provide shade to cattle on pasture, I think there is a clause in my states animal welfare laws on providing shade. On the other side it's argued that if there hanging out in the shade not eating and gaining. Also manure can be deposited around the shade, not in the pasture.

I'm interested on what people are or aren't providing the animals and at what point you start seeing a negative effect for not providing shade. Here in Maine we have very different weather extremes. In the winter we can see well below zero but in the summer we have occasional days that approach 100 with high humidity. I've seen the heat stress charts for dairy cattle with one axis being temp and one being humidity. I may not have any choice on the matter at this time. A friend/rancher 15 minutes away with a large cow/calf operation just went to work for the USDA's compliance office. He does seizures and compliance stuff for nutrient management, animal welfare etc. Plus I may want to start buying some calves from him to finish on grass.

I want to know if this law in our state is really necessary. If it's something that should be fought politically.

I'm kind of neutral right now. I feel the shade is nice for my cows, but if they have plenty of water a short distance away is the shade necessary.

We have field that hae zero shade in them so we geneally will provide them access to a runway that is llined with trees. I don't know how much it matter really but I sure don't want the state welfare guys coming out and saying something about it.. If I lock them out of the alley ways they search for what little shade a pasture might have and follow it.. Kind of a pain in the arse. Generally only an issue if it gets above 85-90 with the red cattle btut the blacks will be in about 5 degrees earlier depedning on breeze, time of year and humidity.. Middle of march and 70 and they would probably all be heading for shade. July and 90 with low humidty and a good breeze and a lot might forget about the shade..

We are actually working on a plan that will increase the sahde in some of the pastures... It is not for shade however that the plan is for but for windbreaks.. The added benifity is they will provide some shade as well.

Speaking from the Texas point of view on cows goin to shade. The way it works here is, if cows lay down for 4 to 6 hours durin the day when it's at it's hottest, they'll be up grazing longer at night. Can't really make a comparison as to gain when it's hot and when it's not in the summer months because it's always hot. I just know that beginning about April, you'll find them layin under trees in the afternoon, as summer progresses, they stay there longer. In the winter months, they'll pile up at night and stay in one place all night, in summer, not so, they are up grazing.
Same theory works with bulls, if it's hot durin the day, they work more at night.

Can't be a lot of places hotter than than eastern Colorado in July. And for the most part, there is no shade around. Our cows lay around in the hot part of the day and graze in the mornings and evenings.

In the one or two pastures with shade, the cows don't particularly want to lay in the shade - maybe its too crowded.

Last summer it was 113 degrees when we saw one herd. They weren't stressed, just standing around the water doing what down do best - staring.

We do not move cattle in the heat of the day nor try to haul them when it is hot.

Often, in the hot part of the summer, we get clouds and an occasional shower in the afternoons.

I've been to Ft Carson, CO, the humidity is far lower then ours, what exactly is your humidiy when it's 113? It's possible that the heat index is actually higher in Maine when it's 98 degrees then when it's 113 in CO.

You sure are right about the humidity in Colorado - we don't have very much.

Often during a hot day, the humidity is about 10-15%.

That is the primary reason so many people are moving here. Don't know whether lots of people are worse than humidity. :)

Ditto what FH and Cowpuncher said, here.

We don't get very high humidity, either, so that might have an impact.

What did the wild animals do, before man came along to take care of them? :roll:

Around here, winters are tuffer than summers it seems like. Both times they need good water. More so in summer and more protection in winter.

We have shade and they very seldom use it much, for the reasons stated by FH.

Sounds like a dumb law to me, but I don't live there.

Some people need instructions to pour p_ _ _ out of a boot. :wink:

7 § 4015. Proper Shelter, Protection From the Weather and Humanely Clean
Conditions

No person owning or responsible for confining or impounding any animal may fail to
provide the animal with proper shelter, protection from the weather and humanely clean
conditions as prescribed in this section.

1. Indoor standards. Minimum indoor standards of shelter shall be as follows:

A. The ambient temperature shall be compatible with the health of the
animal.
B. Indoor housing facilities shall be adequately ventilated by natural or
mechanical means to provide for the health of the animal at all times.

2. Outdoor standards. Minimum outdoor standards of shelter shall be as
follows:

A. When sunlight is likely to cause heat exhaustion of an animal tied or
caged outside, sufficient shade by natural or artificial means shall be
provided to protect the animal from direct sunlight. As used in this
paragraph, "caged" does not include farm fencing used to confine farm
animals.

B. Except as provided in Subsection 5 and 6, shelter from inclement
weather must be as follows:
- 57 -

(1) An artificial shelter, with a minimum of 3 sides and a waterproof
roof, appropriate to the local climatic conditions for the species
concerned must be provided as necessary for the health of the
animal.

(2) If a dog is tied or confined unattended outdoors under weather
conditions that adversely affect the health of the dog, a shelter of
suitable size with a floor above ground and waterproof roof must be
provided to accommodate the dog and protect it from the weather
and, in particular, from severe cold. Inadequate shelter may be
indicated by the shivering of the dog due to cold weather for a
continuous period of 30 minutes.

C. No animal may be confined in a building, enclosure, car, boat, vehicle or
vessel of any kind when extreme heat or extreme cold will be harmful to
its health.

3. Space standards. Minimum space requirements for both indoor and
outdoor enclosures shall include the following:

A. The housing facilities shall be structurally sound and maintained in good
repair to protect the animal from injury and to contain the animal.

B. Enclosures shall be constructed and maintained to provide sufficient
space to allow each animal adequate freedom of movement. Inadequate
space may be indicated by evidence of overcrowding, debility, stress or
abnormal behavior patterns.

4. Humanely clean conditions. Minimum standards of sanitation necessary
to provide humanely clean conditions for both indoor and outdoor enclosures
shall include periodic cleanings to remove excretions and other waste
materials, dirt and trash to minimize health hazards.

5. Livestock. Livestock must be provided with shelter suitable for the health of
the animal. Livestock must have access to a constructed or natural shelter
that is large enough to accommodate all livestock comfortably at one time.
The shelter should be well drained and protect the livestock from direct sun,
rain, wind and other inclement weather. Notwithstanding this subsection,
shelter for equines must be provided in accordance with Subsection 2,
Paragraph B, Subparagraph (1). For purposes of this subsection, "livestock"
includes large game as defined in Section 1341, Subsection 5 kept at a
licensed commercial large game shooting area as defined in Section 1341,
Subsection 1.

Ben H said:
5. Livestock. Livestock must be provided with shelter suitable for the health of
Subsection 1.

Glad I don't run 600 head of yearling in your country. :shock:

>>5. Livestock. Livestock must be provided with shelter suitable for the health of
Subsection 1<<

Show how ignorant government is most of the time. Must pass laws and regs to justify existence and in fact to justify growing it. Gotta have inspectors now ya know. Simply STUPID!!

Cowpuncher said:
Can't be a lot of places hotter than than eastern Colorado in July. And for the most part, there is no shade around. Our cows lay around in the hot part of the day and graze in the mornings and evenings.

In the one or two pastures with shade, the cows don't particularly want to lay in the shade - maybe its too crowded.

Last summer it was 113 degrees when we saw one herd. They weren't stressed, just standing around the water doing what down do best - staring.

We do not move cattle in the heat of the day nor try to haul them when it is hot.

Often, in the hot part of the summer, we get clouds and an occasional shower in the afternoons.

try arizona, my cattle have very little shade except for the few mesquite on it and even on the 115+ days may thru august(have had 30+ days exceeding 110) they don't seem to want to lay under them instead laying around and chew a cud till evening when it will drop to the 90's and then graze my 9:30 int the morning the are back laying down.
most of the time they do not even head for the canal to drink until evening
too humid for them around the water lol

In our country( SW MO ) with infected fescue 95 degree temps, 95% humidity cattle can die without shade or water to stand in during the heat of the day. It's usually the poor doing ones, but they are poor doing because they can't tolerate the endophite.

Here in SE Iowa, I think shade is needed on the hot, humid days. I find that in the pastures with very little shade, the cows and calves will group up real tight and make a real mess with the manure and urine in a concentrated area. The cows will lie down in the slop and they will actually get covered with mud and crud from dirty swinging tails. (Chasing flies). :cry: They will create a pothole in the pasture that is a real nuisance to try and correct. In our crop ground, there are several circles of lighter colored soil that the old timers say are buffalo wallows. Apparently, the buffalo of yesteryear did the same thing as our cows as in those days there were very few trees on the native prairie. I like to see plenty of shade trees, and the ground seems to stay much dryer under the trees since the cows are not so concentrated.

Latest posts