• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pasture Checks

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Since we received about .15 inch of rain last night- I thought it would be a perfect day to check pastures... The one pasture I hadn't been over to since the end of July...
This is the pasture where from some places you can see for miles (horizon to horizon)- without seeing any buildings or anything but cows and coyotes (ran out 3 today)...

I don't think I have ever seen this shortgrass country in such good shape at this time of year before..

The one "potential carrier" cow I still have to test for DD (W C R Celtic Beauty 013X # 16769947)- with her nice big "Juan" (Lazy Bar B Juanada Rito 06X #16741353) heifer calf (which will probably become a replacement)...

Cole Creek Juanada Rain 127W #16453125 with a "Juan" sired heifer calf...

A first calf heifer L B B Pidge 125 #17049643 with her heifer calf..

A bull calf out of W C R Mary 845U #16175571- again sired by "Juan"... Mary 845U is a little 4 frame cow that will probably never weigh over 1200 lbs- but has had 2 heifer calves that averaged 625 lbs at weaning and a bull calf that weighed 698 lbs...
Can't ask for much more! She is the cow that became clean when Fairfield Hi Guy tested clean about 8 generations back- and saved me testing her and her daughters -- and a son Lazy Bar B Bannon 2 BY #17049646 that I used quite a bit this spring...

A bull calf out of Lazy Bar B Lady Blackbird #16065897... She's far from my idea of the perfect cow- but she sure raises some nice calves which compensates for a lot... She's raised 2 heifer calves with weaning weights right at 600 and a bull calf that weaned off at 799 (no creep)...

Several of the "Juan" sired calves... The bull in the front I believe is out of Galpin Miss Lead On 561 789 #15838109

PureCountry said:
Good looking calves OT. Most places I've been this summer and fall are having above average rainfall and I've seen native pastures greener and taller than I've ever seen them before.

Yep this certainly has been a bountiful year for rain and grass... We have predictions for more rain starting Tues night and going thru the weekend.. I kind of wish things would dry up for a little while so everyone could finish combining... We still have about 100 acres of wheat that needs cutting- and the everyday rain hasn't helped...

I just saw where a unit of semen on Ballot of Belladrum bull #2797832 sold at the Sinclair sale for $3200... Not bad for an old "no numbers" bull...

This little cow is a granddaughter of Ballots ( sired by Octoraro Ballot STO 6) , shown here a few days ago with her second calf...Her mgs is Logan of Wye Umf 6692....
(W C R Celtic Beauty 013X # 16769947)- with her nice big "Juan" (Lazy Bar B Juanada Rito 06X #16741353) heifer calf (which will probably become a replacement)...

How do you keep up with "who bred who" when you ahve multiple cattle owners running cattle on huge acreage with numerous bulls?

TexasBred said:
How do you keep up with "who bred who" when you ahve multiple cattle owners running cattle on huge acreage with numerous bulls?

In the multi-sire pastures I DNA the registered ones I'm going to keep or sell for seedstock... In the community pasture- I don't move the cows in until they've been with my bull for at least 45 days...And since the other fellow that shares that pasture runs Charolais bulls - its pretty easy to tell if any late breds were bred by his bulls - which happens off and on... :wink:

Latest posts