• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pasture costs?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Buckerette

Reaction score
A good buddy of ours has offered to take our weanlings and yearlings for the winter. He has a pasture of winter wheat in OK where he runs his commercial cows.

He is asking .40 cents/pound of weight gain.

We aren't sure what is the average and if it's a good deal or not.

What do you guys think?

The pasture in itself would be good for these guys since we have to have them in pens and they don't get the excercise future bucking bulls need.

Also, since we don't usually sale our animals on weight we don't keep track of the average weight gain.

What is normal weight gain for a weanling for a 6 month time? What about a yearling for a 6 month time? These are brangus cross.

If I could figure that out, I could figure out if it is cheaper then our hay cost and go from there.

Thanks!!!!

Not sure about there but that sounds like not too bad a deal-they would should gain a couple pounds a day but like you said it's probably worth alot to get those yoiung bulls out and exercising if you can. I guess you'd want to make sure they can keep thewm out of the cows too-how many bulls was he going to run in a bunch and is he able to pull out any that are getting ridden lots. When we've had Angus bulls on forage gain tests once you get much more than 40 bulls to a group there gets to be social issues amongst them. The best way to stop an outbreak of riding was to move them to fresh pasture A.S.A.P.

On 2 lbs a day gain, I figured it's not going to cost us any more or less to send them. But they'll be getting excercise and they won't have our winter to deal with.

It's not a for sure thing yet, we have to wait and make sure the wheat comes up.

The hubby thinks the bulls will be running with about 100 head of steers and the heifers will be with about the same amount of heifers. I'll talk to them about the riding.

THANK YOU!!!!!!

On tame grass pasture this summer, no legume my friends steers gained 1.5 lbs/ day. He ways paying 42 cents a pound so it cost him 63 cents a day. He was happy.

Latest posts