• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pasture Costs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PureCountry

Reaction score
Just curious what everyone thinks is a good price for pasture rent. Do you pay by the quarter section, the acre, per day? I pay $1500CDN/quarter for some, and $1800 for others. When you work out the cost/cow, depending on the year and stocking rate, we get it for anywhere between 50-60 cents/AUD. Not including salt/minerals/labor.

.70 cents per pair and rising. New neighbors for Ontario and Alberta influencing the rentals and purchase prices. My Buggy guys next door will always be looking for more land :roll:

Around here most commonly goes by $'s per acre per year. Usually $15 to $20 per acre depending on condition of grass, fence, water pens etc. I am currently paying $18 for a place that borders me and is good. Normally should figure 3 acres per cow to carry them for the year. The problem is finding it and keeping it.

I had to give $30 per acre this year to keep the grass. good water, fair grass, but no fence! owner is suppoesed to be rebuilding the fence.

it is too high, but I rent his farm ground, so I had to pay what he wanted, or lose a bunch of land......

I pay $40.00 per pair for the season. Same for 600lb stockers. $7.00 per head per month on another one. Land rents here are 0 to $40.00 per acre. Much higher for good corn ground.

Pasture seems to be going for 27 to 30 dollars a head a month when I asked. The problem here is finding it.

Around here it is pasture is almost always rented in $/cow(pair)/day. We pay $0.80/ day for pairs. The local community pasture is $0.86/day for pairs. I know a lot of people who pay over $1.00/pair, and we have charged over that when we rented pasture out.

We're paying $135 a pair for pasture with very poor grass, but it's not rare to pay in excess of $150 a pair for a pasture with decent to good grass.

Jake said:
We're paying $135 a pair for pasture with very poor grass, but it's not rare to pay in excess of $150 a pair for a pasture with decent to good grass.

If that's a month you must be experiencing great markets to make it pencil out. :?

Latest posts