• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pasture Walk

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
P1010140.jpg

How a poor man controls his grasshoppers-there are 100's of gulls out where the cows are right now. It takes lots of hoppers to fill one up.

P1010145.jpg

Is this a crazy idea-we have farmers all around us so when I rebuilt my line fence I moved it out 30 feet from the old one-now if the wind blows a big tree over I won't have a few hundred out in somebodies crop. We can graze it when the crops off or put some horses in there they hardly ever fence.

I like the poor mans way. We are currently having great success using the poor mans way to control mosquitos. We have Dragon flies like never seen before and different kinds as well. Small yellow, orange, and red ones, as well as the regular larger ones. Mosquitos and black flies have almost dissappeared.

It just goes to show the power of mother nature and its ways, if only we were patient enough to let her do her work. Probably have a lot less problems.

P1010138.jpg

The 'Dance' these little bunches of hot cows can be a challenge to bring in with one horse anybody whose picked up A'I' knows what I'm talking about. There was an EXT in this mix so I cheated and trapped them when they came to drink. The pretty blue roan is my daughter Sara's.

I don't have gulls to get the hoppers, just a few turkeys.

I found out about a place in Bozeman a few years ago that sells all kinds of natural enemies to most pests. I get their hopper bait, which give the hoppers the natural sickness that wipes them out, in time. Costs about $1 a pound and that is supposed to be good for one acre. Last year we drove around on the trails thru all the pastures and lightly scattered about 50 or 100 pounds. We have some hoppers, but not as many as others, they tell me and the best part, mine will spread the sickness thru' any others that they come in contact and then they will spread it, etc. Once they eat it and get the desese (sp, how in the heck do you spell this word?) they eat about 75% less and they pass this on to the eggs they lay, so what I did lasat year carries over to this year.

I wish everyone would scatter some when we have hopper years. Or better yet, let them scatter it from planes over the worst areas where they would normally spray and kill all bugs, the good with the bad.

I like natures system, most times. :wink:

Sure don't hurt to give her a helping hand once in awhile. :lol:

During summer we have an abundance of cattle egrets. They even sit on the cows' back and eat flies.

You should see them go after a yellowjacket or bumble nest when it gets stirred up. They'll stay there and eat every single one.

i use nematodes around the dog pens really works on the fleas,and they also help keep the fireants down.once they get established i rarely have to dip my hounds.saves a lot of aggrivation ,fleas can get downright thick here in the summer.

flrooster said:
i use nematodes around the dog pens really works on the fleas,and they also help keep the fireants down.once they get established i rarely have to dip my hounds.saves a lot of aggrivation ,fleas can get downright thick here in the summer.

Nematodes? You mean like soil nematodes?

yep,i get mine at a local feedstore, but i believe you can also get them from Jeffers.this type feeds on the eggs and larva of most ground laying pests.you need to give the ground 2 weeks of no pesticides and then it takes around two or three weeks {depending on conditions} for effects to be noticed.

and get the desese (sp, how in the heck do you spell this word?)

DISEASE - - D - I - S - E - A - S - E- - DISEASE. Think "Dis - ease"

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS said:
and get the desese (sp, how in the heck do you spell this word?)

DISEASE - - D - I - S - E - A - S - E- - DISEASE. Think "Dis - ease"

DOC HARRIS

Thanks Doc, now if ˆcan just remember what you told me, the next time I try to spell it! :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts