• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Patty's first cattle drive

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
Today Patty got to do her first cattle drive. She did great. At first I kept her on the quad. She didn't like that too much. But 250 pairs, 4 horses, 2 quads, and probably 7 or 8 other dogs. Things were a little crowded. Toward the end I let her get down. The road widened out and there was more open ground on the sides of the road. We got as far as we were going for the night. We parked in the road and held any cows that wanted to go back. When some cows would start back we would put the dogs on them. Patty had a great time with this. And this dog can mortally fly. She budded up with a neighbors dog who just joined the drive on her own. These two would be the first ones to the cows and the last to come back. Not that they kept after the cows. The two of them would just stand there eyeing and take their time coming back to where we were gathered.
Our job at first was to guard the driveway to make sure the cows didn't turn in. So we parked in the shade under a cotton wood by the river waiting for the cows. So the cows come all strung out. Finally the tail end of the drive got there. We were done preventing cows from coming down the drive so we joined in behind. The cows got there at 4:30. We took them another mile and a half in about an hour. It was 8:30 when we finally left them for the night. First daylight in the morning me and Patty will patrol the road to see if there any cows wanting to come back down the road. We will push them back the direction they are supposed to go. The cowboys will be along about 7:30-8:00 to finish the drive.
P6072934.JPG
P6072934.JPG
P6072937.JPG
P6072939.JPG

We used to trail down US89 (yes going north there was downhill) for 3 days. There were a couple association pastures along the way, then 3-4 day trail up the forest road to our allotment areas. One spring just stung out good from our start and I was getting car to fallow me thru from the back and here comes a bulk milk truck. bang , bang bang, he killed 7 cows and a few calves not necessarily the calves that belonged to the dead cows. Next spring it was semi trucks , but it was still a trail home and sort along the way in the fall for a couple more years.The association pastures are now houses , one is a big Truss plant. Our other Permit was cross the highway, and 1/2 mile county road to the forest. Sure don't miss FS Permits... got 2 land locked 80s of BLM is all now.

We used to trail down US89 (yes going north there was downhill) for 3 days. There were a couple association pastures along the way, then 3-4 day trail up the forest road to our allotment areas. One spring just stung out good from our start and I was getting car to fallow me thru from the back and here comes a bulk milk truck. bang , bang bang, he killed 7 cows and a few calves not necessarily the calves that belonged to the dead cows. Next spring it was semi trucks , but it was still a trail home and sort along the way in the fall for a couple more years.The association pastures are now houses , one is a big Truss plant. Our other Permit was cross the highway, and 1/2 mile county road to the forest. Sure don't miss FS Permits... got 2 land locked 80s of BLM is all now.
Wow, Jody. That highway was dangerous as heck!!! Glad you aren't dealing with that any longer. Whew!

This is an unpaved county road. It only gets a couple dozen cars a day. It is kind of narrow and enough curves that 30 mph is about it. In the 3 hours or so that we sat there guarding against cows heading back there was one motorcycle that can through. Not much in the way of traffic.

While we were driving them up the road a pickup came up behind us and made no attempt to drive through. I zipped back to close a gate and noticed that they had West Virginia plates. So I stopped to talk to them. I said you probably don't see this much is West VIrginia. They said that they never had. They just tagged along behind enjoying the show.

Logging truck killed 22 head on the Manti mountain a few years ago. Webfoot, you had the audacity to give me heck on a calf table, and you ride a wheeler???? Oh the humanity. 😂😂😂
I never even owned one until I was 60. I would love to ride a good horse again. My mind tells me that I am 25 but my body reminds me that I am 70. Something along the lines of a bomb proof kids welsh pony would fit me now days. Besides all I was doing was putting down the road.

I never even owned one until I was 60. I would love to ride a good horse again. My mind tells me that I am 25 but my body reminds me that I am 70. Something along the lines of a bomb proof kids welsh pony would fit me now days. Besides all I was doing was putting down the road.
Anything that H rides would fit you fine………😛😛😛

Latest posts