• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pear recipes

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
If any of you would like to share....I was just given a huge amount of pears. I've never put pears up before. Got about half of them cut up and cooked. Juice seperated from pears (figured I'd find out what pear jelly tastes like) Love fried pies using pears...but that's about all I know to do with them.

2011-07-27-026.jpg

Lilly, you can chop/grate the peeled pears and then use them as a replacement for apples in your favorite strudel recipe. My mother used to make tens of pear strudels from my trees and then freeze them for use during the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons and they are very good used in that manner.

Another way we used the typical hard pears grown in Texas is to can them as follows: Cook the peeled & quartered pears in a brine of 1 cup sugar to 4 cups water until they are sufficiently soft to your preference and then immediately put in jars, along with the brine so they'll seal. Put one or two marachcino cherries in the jars to make a pretty pink color. No hot water bath required.

You're fortunate to get those pears this year. I wish I had some this year but the drought has caused my trees to drop most of the fruit and what few remain on the trees are not much bigger than chinaberries.

JBB.....These pears were growing beside the bus barns at the school. Don't know how they managed to make without any water. But they are sweet sweet. I figure I'll just put them in jars cooked with sugar. Then later when I wanna use them I can add more sugar cinnamin or whatever to do pies...

Thanks ya'll.

Latest posts