• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Peas in a Pod!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
PaddockShift-June1305006.jpg

Here's some nice baldie yearlings at one of my heifer suppliers-bought this outfits cattle for years -like them a bunch-those are AAR Really Windy daughters out of purebred Horned Hereford heifers.

Faster horses said:
NR, I am curious as to why are they so rough-haired?

When was that picture taken? Perhaps that has something to do with it.

BTW, LOVED the picture of the calf in the grass!!

I'm guessin' this picture was taken in the spring, before they shed off?

There was still snowdrifts in the hills when I took that picture-cows tend to hair up in the winter up here lol. It is funny though when we clip cattle to brand the differences in hair density-south devons hair is short but very thick while some cattle are long but kind of open-our south devon cows winter as good or better than the other and they almost look slick haired in winter time.

Northern Rancher said:
There was still snowdrifts in the hills when I took that picture-cows tend to hair up in the winter up here lol. It is funny though when we clip cattle to brand the differences in hair density-south devons hair is short but very thick while some cattle are long but kind of open-our south devon cows winter as good or better than the other and they almost look slick haired in winter time.

I can't think of the guy's name, but there is a feller who claims you can tell a good cow from a bad one, by how good of a slick hair coat they have. I have always wondered if it was right. I know that when we ran red angus cattle and we mouthed cows in the fall, we always had red angus with better mouthes than the herefords and the crosses. Might have just been the genetics my dear old dad had, in his herefords. :)

Our cattle hair up here in winter, too.
And some don't shed as early as they should. Drives me nuts.
Just wondered about yours, and then I figured it was timing of the
picture.

How gentle are those Really Windy's? The ones around here are leaving something to be desired as far as dispostion; maybe they aren't direct daughters of AAR Really Windy, though.

Anyway, how do the dispostions seem to be?

Jinglebob your thinking of Jans Bonsma-go to the 'Stockman GrassFarmer' website and order the book 'Man Must Measure' it's the lectures of Dr. Bonsma-he studied how hormones affected the appearance of cattle. Bonsma could go through your herd and tell you if a cow had ever lost a calf in her life by looking at her. Very interesting reading-more fertile cows have finer silkier hair on their front ends while bulls are opposite. Some of the selection gurus you hear about are just paraphrasing Dr. Bonsma. AS for better mouths-it starts with jaw structure-Australian sheep raisers realy select against parrot mouths-your red angus cows were probably better muzzled than your hfd cows for whatever reason. When you think of it a cows mouth is like the pickup on a baler-if everything is inline and it's nice and wide she'll be a more efficient grazer.

Ohhh after calving EXT's I'm sure I could calve badgers bred to mountain lions and see an improvement. Actually they seem to be fairly quiet cattle-I don'y obsess toomuch about who sheds first-seen some shaggy women in my life that raised lots of kids.

Northern Rancher said:
Jinglebob your thinking of Jans Bonsma-go to the 'Stockman GrassFarmer' website and order the book 'Man Must Measure' it's the lectures of Dr. Bonsma-he studied how hormones affected the appearance of cattle. Bonsma could go through your herd and tell you if a cow had ever lost a calf in her life by looking at her. Very interesting reading-more fertile cows have finer silkier hair on their front ends while bulls are opposite. Some of the selection gurus you hear about are just paraphrasing Dr. Bonsma. AS for better mouths-it starts with jaw structure-Australian sheep raisers realy select against parrot mouths-your red angus cows were probably better muzzled than your hfd cows for whatever reason. When you think of it a cows mouth is like the pickup on a baler-if everything is inline and it's nice and wide she'll be a more efficient grazer.

Yup, thats the guy. i know all about Grass Farmers and have gotten a lot of people I know started reading it.

I think I have Mr. Bonsma's book and its interesting, but it was a little dry. Had to read it in small doses and I have such a poor memory that very little sticks in the old noggin'. Too many times of getting straightened out by the little woman I guess! :lol:

There are a lot of things out there that lots of people pay no attention to. We could all learn more if we would open our minds a little. Some of it might not work for us, but lots can if applied right.

Jinglebob said:
There are a lot of things out there that lots of people pay no attention to. We could all learn more if we would open our minds a little. Some of it might not work for us, but lots can if applied right.

This is rather off the subject, but a trucker friend and I were visiting on the phone this evening. He was telling me about two or three deals that had gone bad for him in the trucking business, and he said he'd learned his lesson. The lesson was, "never do business with someone who won't look you in the eye when they are talking to you." I agreed, and said that a pet peeve of mine is trying to talk to someone wearing those sunglasses that look like a mirror. It's hard to visit with a person when, as you look at their eyes, all you can see is your own face in the "mirror".

This doesn't have a doggoned thing to do with "ranching for profit" but it has a little something to do with "we could all learn more if we would open our minds a little". :shock: :)

It's much better to do business with nothing more than an honest man's handshake, than deal with a crook with all the legal paperwork in the world.

P.S. Good looking cattle, NR. Guess we weren't talking about "ranching for profit" anyway, we were talking about "peas in a pod". Those nice looking baldies are just that--peas in a pod.

Soapweed said:
Jinglebob said:

This is rather off the subject, but a trucker friend and I were visiting on the phone this evening. He was telling me about two or three deals that had gone bad for him in the trucking business, and he said he'd learned his lesson. The lesson was, "never do business with someone who won't look you in the eye when they are talking to you." I agreed, and said that a pet peeve of mine is trying to talk to someone wearing those sunglasses that look like a mirror. It's hard to visit with a person when, as you look at their eyes, all you can see is your own face in the "mirror".

This doesn't have a doggoned thing to do with "ranching for profit" but it has a little something to do with "we could all learn more if we would open our minds a little". :shock: :)

It's much better to do business with nothing more than an honest man's handshake, than deal with a crook with all the legal paperwork in the world.

Amen!!! :lol:

Off the subject, but ain't there quite a few of us on here that ought to be in bed by this time of night? :shock: :eek: :lol:

Latest posts