• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Peeling Stain

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I Luv Herfrds

Reaction score
Discovered that the stain we applied on our new log house is peeling off. :shock:
No idea why yet.
Called the place we bought the stain from and the owner came out and took pictures and some of the peeling stain and sent it off to the stain maker.
Hope we hear from them soon.
The owner said he would make it right with us, so we are happy with that.

Before you all start asking we did what we were suppose to do. Washed the logs, treated them with a incenticide and fungicide. Tested them with a moisture tester and they were below 18% moisture. Waited for a really dry day and applied the stain.

Been having trouble staying logged in on here so I've been lurking. :D

Mike I tried to spray it on with a garden sprayer at first and back brush and it looked like crap. So we brushed the rest on.
Even where I put the protective top coat is peeling away.

Got some pics of the inside. Hubby got all the lights except for 1 more in the master bathroom. Then there is just the upstairs outlets and all the electrical is done!

Let's see if I can stay logged in long enough to get these posted. :D
Took these at night to see how it would look with the lights and the walls polyureathaned.

Living room
IMG_6367.jpg

Kitchen
IMG_6366.jpg

Pantry
IMG_6368.jpg

Polyureathaned walls
IMG_6362.jpg

It's beautiful. Can't understand why the poly would peel if the wood was dry & clean. Never heard of that.

I like the trim around the windows natural look too.

Keep the pics coming.

Thanks Mike.

Mike we used Benjarmin Moore Auborcoat stain and I went online and did some searching and it looks like there has been alot of problems with this stain peeling in less then a year after being applied.
I didn't poly the exterior I used the top coat that went with it. That didn't work either.
Got some samples from some other stain manufators coming from a log supply company going to see how they look in a couple different areas.

I went through 18 different stain samples before I found the one I used on the windows.

Here you go Mike.

West side
IMG_5672-1.jpg

North side getting stained
IMG_5670-1.jpg

Farmers scaffold LOL
IMG_5671-1.jpg

IMG_5673-1.jpg

Photobucket locked up on me will have to post the stain peeling later.

The home is beautiful. Thanks.

Wonder if that peeling stain would come off with a pressure washer?

You gonna get moved in before winter?

Wow ,it is peeling bad. Hate that you did all of that work and it is now peeling. That sucks !

It is going to be gorgeous when done ILH :D

What did the manufacturer of the logs say ?

I have no idea what ours were done with, but we need to redo alot this summer. The inside logs have been left bare as they were treated before they were put in place .

Waiting to hear from the store owner and the stain company.
It looks like it will come off with the pressure washer.

Looking at renting a crushed glass blower if there are any areas that the washer does not take off.

Not yet Mike. Hubby has almost all the electrical done then we are going to start on the plumbing. Doing as much of ourselves as we can.

HD the guys we got the logs from have no idea as to why the stain is peeling.

Got some sample stains yesterday. Tried them out on the logs behind the kitchen fir out.
The manufactorers are sikkens, WOODguard and Lifeline Ultra.
Got a couple I like.

Hubby wants to wait to strip the house until we have the deck and porch around it. Who knows when that will be.
I want to strip the east side and re-do it. It is more flat on that side and we do not need a high lift platform to get to it like we will the other 3 sides.

Latest posts