• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pen Rider

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
I feel like a pen rider. Well minus the horse. And minus the pen too. There is 183 calves weaned 1 to 3 weeks out in the pasture down from the house. With the pneumonia weather we have been having I go through them 2 times a day looking for sick ones. They are on about 20 acres of green irrigated hay field regrowth. There is also about 15 acres of dry crested wheat grass above the ditch. This morning there was probably 40 calves up in that dry grass. There is something about driving through 2 foot tall bone dry grass this time of the year that sounds like a disaster. I told B that I wasn't driving up in there. He asked where my sense of adventure was? I told him if I were going to do that he would need to get Sweety (the fire truck) warmed up. My assistant is trying hard to hold it together. That many calves surely some of them need to be chased.

P9063029.JPG
P9063026 (1).JPG

Cattle need dry matter, so they found some even if it was dry crested wheat grass. I bet all of them will be there at one time or other at least for a short while.
I agree with not driving through it. Can't be too careful.
We are supposed to get rain tomorrow and Friday. It is predicted to get to 107 today. UGH!!! 99 already.
Nice dog!!!!

Latest posts