• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pete Crow -WLJ- Good comment!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

CattleCo

Reaction score
It is refreshing to see Ag writers/Publishers call it like it is! Good Job Crow! :)

A diversified business
August 22, 2005

Last week, Western Video Market held its annual two day sale at Little America in Cheyenne, WY. At the onset, sellers were a little nervous. However, as the sale progressed, the market was established and many yearling steers were trading at that $1-plus level; one set of 900-pound steers brought $114.25. On the calves, 400-pounders traded in the $140s, 500-pounders in the $130s, and the 600-pound calves in the $120s. In the broad picture, the market was good. Perhaps not as good as it was 10 weeks ago, but still very solid.
Fuel and freight were big elements weighing on the market and the basis on which cattle are traded. West Coast cattle were selling at an $8-10 discount to western Plains cattle. In northern California, diesel is costing $3.25 a gallon; one cattleman said it cost him $3.10 per loaded mile to ship a load to an auction market 180 miles away.
Corn prices have traditionally been one of the elements that would influence the feeder cattle markets. The rule of thumb is that for every dime increase in corn prices, a $1 per cwt decrease in feeder cattle prices can be expected. Now it would seem that every dime in fuel prices may have a similar effect.
I asked around to see if any of the cattle market analysts have figured in fuel costs as a market influence, and no one had. Andy Gottschalk, analyst at HedgersEdge, did say that for every $10 increase in crude oil price, $50 billion in discretionary spending was taken away.
Unfortunately, that hurts the cattle industry in two ways—the cost of getting cattle to market and the amount of money consumers will be spending on beef.
I spoke with several auction market operators about the Canadian border situation. Some said it had a major effect, while some said it had little to no impact. However, they all had the idea that the packing industry was going to inflict downward pressure on the market because of it. I'm not sure if the relationship between an auction market man and a packer will ever find harmony.
The slaughter cow market in the northern Plains and Northwest is in a precarious situation. The closing of Swift's Nampa, ID, plant and Smithfield's Gering, NE, plant has left the regions with few outfits to process cows. Shawn Madden, market operator from Torrington, WY, said they are shipping cows to BPI in Fresno, CA; Smithfield's Green Bay, WI, and Phoenix, AZ, plants; and also to Caviness Packing in Hereford, TX.
These cow processors are putting a lot of freight on those cows, which will ultimately influence the price. I wouldn't think it bodes well for cull cow season. Each of these cow processing plants is between 600-800 miles from Torrington.
On the more positive side of things, Darrell Wood, cow/calf producer from Susanville, CA, is busy trying to carve out his niche in the beef business. His group sells Western Grasslands Beef into a high-end grocery chain in California, "Trader Joe's," and several independent markets and restaurants. Wood said that they have been processing about 80 head a week and are about to go to 120 head a week. He said they are paying $180 per cwt on the rail. The product is labeled as "grass fed," and carries Carolyn Carey's "Born in the USA" label.
Wood said getting into the meat business is a whole new world and that he's getting a real education about the packing and meat business. He's been attending National Meat Association meetings and getting new perspectives about the packing industry and their issues.
Mac Graves, also with Latigo Marketing, is the CEO of Western Grasslands Beef. He started as a consultant but was interested in the challenge of getting this product to market. He was on his way to Bentonville, AR, to talk with WalMart about taking on their grass fed hamburger line. Graves also said that they will have an organic product on the market by the end of the year.
While many in the business are attempting to sue companies and the government for their perceived problems in the cattle markets, it's refreshing to watch the development of small companies like Western Grasslands Beef and others.
The meat business is a tough business, but those niche markets are there and many smaller, more independent processors and producers are learning how to access them. — PETE CROW

I talked with someone who was at the same auction and gave a very different picture. I, too, like the idea of all this innovation. However once they get big enough to be on the radar screen of the big boys they will be facing something entirely different.

Many at the meeting expressed EXTREME frustration with the federal government and recent court decisions. They are ready to rebel.

That's an accurate picture.

ocm: "Many at the meeting expressed EXTREME frustration with the federal government and recent court decisions. They are ready to rebel."

Highest cattle prices every recorded and the blamers have never been more mad about it. Hahaha! Go figure?

Captive supplies and packer concentration were always the packer blamer's scapegoat for lower cattle prices yet we just saw the highest cattle prices ever recorded with the same level of packer concentration and virtually the same level of captive supplies.

So much for those worthless arguments.

None of the import blamers could have predicted 600 pounders selling at $120+ with the Canadian border opened to live cattle DESPITE HIGHER FUEL PRICES, LOWER FAT CATTLE PRICES, AND INCREASED U.S. BEEF PRODUCTION.

Shows how much the packer victims and import blamers know about market fundamentals.

Obviously, ocm only talks to those who cry in their beer about how bad they got it. You know, the R-CULT/OCM blaming crowd. Poor them!

OCM's post just goes to prove that the liberal democrat R-CULT/OCM crowd has to continue to perpetuate bad news to have any following.

THE BLAMERS NEED TO RECRUIT "PERCEIVED VICTIMS" INTO THEIR BLAMER'S CAMP!

~SH~

~SH~ said:
OCM's post just goes to prove that the liberal democrat R-CULT/OCM crowd has to continue to perpetuate bad news to have any following.

~SH~

The guy I talked to was a Wyoming Republican. The people he talked to came up to him spontaneously and brought up the subject. And by the way Wyoming was a Republican state last I checked. Deep red in color. With Three Republican people in Congress who would disagree with you completely on COOL, CAFTA, Pickett, USDA etc.

Want to call them liberal democrats?

Anyone who wants more government intervention into the cattle/beef industry is not a conservative Republican in any way, shape or form.

Who is voting against flawed COOL?
Republicans

Who voted for CAFTA?
Republicans

Who sided with Pickett?
Anti corporate Dems

Who blames USDA?
Dems

Try as you will ocm, this left wing tiger cannot change it's stripes.

~SH~

~SH~ said:
Anyone who wants more government intervention into the cattle/beef industry is not a conservative Republican in any way, shape or form.
~SH~

Just one word (Sandhusker, watch this)

CREEKSTONE.

Voila, ~SH~ is not a conservative Republican.

And the Packers and Stockyards Act was government intervention in the cattle/beef industry. Want to undo it?

ocm said:
I talked with someone who was at the same auction and gave a very different picture. I, too, like the idea of all this innovation. However once they get big enough to be on the radar screen of the big boys they will be facing something entirely different.

Many at the meeting expressed EXTREME frustration with the federal government and recent court decisions. They are ready to rebel.

OCM, the people you represent are the minority-get over it.

agman said:
ocm said:

Ha! I had never belonged to anything BUT a minority (Caucasians were a minority where I grew up) until the Republicans took over the House in 1994. It bothers me not one bit. A minority of 13 met in Sam Adams' attic to discuss a tea party.

But really, you should get out more. You might notice the majority getting smaller.

But really, you should get out more. You might notice the majority getting smaller.

And fringe groups getting larger, but never in danger of becoming creditable!

ocm said:
agman said:
ocm said:

Ha! I had never belonged to anything BUT a minority (Caucasians were a minority where I grew up) until the Republicans took over the House in 1994. It bothers me not one bit. A minority of 13 met in Sam Adams' attic to discuss a tea party.

I just spent the past three weeks meeting with producers all over the country. BTW, it was the upper echelon of producers in every region. You are the minority and most people have now figured out on their own the R-Laugh agenda; unsupported claims and blame.

OCM,

Blamers are not in the majority. They are the minority. Most producers when presented with the facts will make the right decision.

Yours is the side that continues to lose in court because you don't have the facts. You have blame.

~SH~

ocm said:
agman said:
BTW, it was the upper echelon of producers in every region.

By definition you met with a minority.

So, have you just admitted that R-Calfers are generally the lower echelon of producers and still represent the minority?

agman
So, have you just admitted that R-Calfers are generally the lower echelon of producers and still represent the minority?

Your arrogance knows no bounds does it Mr. Perfect?

Shorty said:
agman

Your arrogance knows no bounds does it Mr. Perfect?

I just poised a question. Perhaps you have answered it.

"Don't confuse arrogance with confidence. "

SH, Don't confuse arrogance with Stupidity"!

Let's wait till the crop is in ...both calves and corn and we will see how many farmers and ranchers sell out before next year................
Lower cattle prices but still darn good!!!! Grain Prices?????Agman has all the answers on that one! THE FLY IN THE OINTMENT IS HIGHER COST OF PRODUCTION /OPERATIONS.............it is the KILLER!!!
I predict we will have a lot of the boy's say F.....it! We cannot have a industry grow where the average age is over 55 and soon be be 60!

We have only a few months to wait!

CattleCo said:
"Don't confuse arrogance with confidence. "

SH, Don't confuse arrogance with Stupidity"!

Let's wait till the crop is in ...both calves and corn and we will see how many farmers and ranchers sell out before next year................
Lower cattle prices but still darn good!!!! Grain Prices?????Agman has all the answers on that one! THE FLY IN THE OINTMENT IS HIGHER COST OF PRODUCTION /OPERATIONS.............it is the KILLER!!!
I predict we will have a lot of the boy's say F.....it! We cannot have a industry grow where the average age is over 55 and soon be be 60!

We have only a few months to wait!

If you would and could engage in intelligent debate I would certainly be willing to accommodate you.

The Pro Farmer Crop Tour estimates will be released tomorrow afternoon. I expect you, sitting on a bar stool looking out your window, know more about crop conditions than they do. You have already made it clear that you know more than the USDA about grain inventories and crop prospects. Why don't you go public with your specific numbers since you have all this information? BTW, if you look outside the sky is not really falling, that is only a figment of you imagination.

agman
I just poised a question. Perhaps you have answered it.

Perhaps you have just shown your arrogance again.

Latest posts