• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pharo Bulls

Help Support Ranchers.net:

4Diamond

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with a buddy interested in buying some. He asked my opinion but I don't have any experience with them. I think I've seen them discussed here, what's the general consensus on them? Keep in mind I am in fescue country. Thanks

What does that meen gcreekrch are you trying to save em all to youre self.
I agree absolutly NO!
sandhill cranes are here must be spring.

In all fairness, before I said flat no, I would want to know why he is interested in Pharo bulls. What is the reason that he would pass up some growth bloodlines? Has he been reading some info Pharo has put out? I think we need to know more. We have bought 1 Pharo bull, many years ago, and know others that bought some....that they keep hid... :D but they bought them for a specific reason.

My wifes step dad used to buy them. I really don't know anything about his cattle as don't live around here but know he doesn't have any more. I had received a sale catalog from them once. He only showed some epd that were making the bull look good. Had a rating of up to 5 star for calving, docile, and I think fly resistance. ???? Had a red angus bull he called 5 star super calving ease. I went to ra website and looked up his registration numbers and from the breeding and epd sure wouldn't put on a heifer as advertised. People that only give part of the story on bulls in a catalog are always hiding something. With him being not a low input producer but I believe a no input producer who knows what you can get out of the package your looking at.

The sale we went to definitely was 'no cost' to Kit Pharo. He didn't provide lunch; the bulls hadn't had any mineral (or much feed), he had no auctioneer and he didn't provide a ride home for them regardless of cost.

I did like the way he auctioned off the cattle. You knew if there was someone bidding against you. Whatever
he has done, he's been successful. He did have Co-operator herds, don't know if he still does. He's passionate about what he believes.

Graziers are very high on his cattle or so I've heard. My buddy is trying to be a grass only operation and has been led to believe these bulls are what he needs. Developed on grass and can survive on grass. Around here we don't need 1400-1600# cows. 1100-1250 fits the bill nicely.

I was discussing a bull with an owner of a RA purebred operation one time. The bull in question had a ridiculously high CED number and I admitted to him that I had used that bull. His response to me was "What kind of a problem do you have to have for that bull to be the answer?" That is pretty much in a nutshell my opinion of his cattle. They might work for some people, but I am really not sure what their aim is.

Larrry said:
Faster horses said:
He's passionate about what he believes.

So do the muslims, Al Sharpton, ot, and obama

:) :lol: :lol: :shock:

I was trying to be generous. :D

If your buddy wants smaller cattle, he might give Pharo a try. Prepare him to spend a lot of money
as they don't come cheap. I would suggest you visit the co-operators herd. One thing that I have
come across is the bulls don't seem to last all that long. Perhaps it is from lack of nutrition early on.
Good luck!

Larrry said:
Just think in todays cattle market what your crop would be worth if the weighed 200 more on the average...big bucks.
I can tell you from 2 weeks ago $2/HD difference in 150# and that's a fact.

Thanks for the info everyone, reading the PCC newsletter, one would think those bulls will last s decade easily.

I don't have personal experience with Pharo bulls, but at one time I thought he was the only alternative to the "bigger faster" crowd. Come to find out he isn't, just the best marketer of low-input or grass-type genetics. I'd shop around before hitching up to that wagon. I agree, it all depends on what your breeding goals are.

4Diamond said:
Larrry said:
Just think in todays cattle market what your crop would be worth if the weighed 200 more on the average...big bucks.
I can tell you from 2 weeks ago $2/HD difference in 150# and that's a fact.

There is a difference in being 200 lbs younger or just being 200 lbs lighter aka scrubs.

4Diamond said:
loomixguy said:
How the hell do you breed for "fly resistance"?

Pharo sounds like a con man to me.
Isn't that a big selling point of some of the Brahma cattle?

I wouldn't know. I've seen about everything in this country BUT any long eared Brahmers. Too cold.

I know you can't starve condition on a cow...and I know for a fact cattle on a good mineral program will outdo cattle that get no mineral, hands down, 24/7/365. There's a big difference between being cheap and being thrifty.

loomixguy said:
4Diamond said:
loomixguy said:
How the hell do you breed for "fly resistance"?

Pharo sounds like a con man to me.
Isn't that a big selling point of some of the Brahma cattle?

I wouldn't know. I've seen about everything in this country BUT any long eared Brahmers. Too cold.

I know you can't starve condition on a cow...and I know for a fact cattle on a good mineral program will outdo cattle that get no mineral, hands down, 24/7/365. There's a big difference between being cheap and being thrifty.

Nothing like running over the dollars to save pennies is there?

Latest posts