• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pheasants in the Fridge

Help Support Ranchers.net:

High Plains

Reaction score
I cleaned two pheasants and put the meat in the fridge in salt water last Sunday. I forgot about that until today. So do I go ahead and put the meat in the freezer, or should I just go straight to the trash with it? Seems like I may have waited too long, accidentally.

HP

I'd smell them if they smell good keep them if not toss'em.

Survivor Man would eat them.

Decided just to eat 'em and forget about the freezer. I liked it better than chicken, but that's not saying much! :shock:

HP

High Plains said:
Decided just to eat 'em and forget about the freezer. I liked it better than chicken, but that's not saying much! :shock:

HP

Good for you. They should be just fine. The meat will have absorbed a lot of that water and salt though so don't add any more salt.

A lot of people myself included will age gamebirds for several days just having been drawn and hung by the neck. I have hung pheasants for 2 weeks in a very cold garage and then plucked and roasted them.

They were incredible. This is a very common practice in Europe.

If you try it, try not to use a bird the has been gutshot real bad and be sure to draw the guts and hang them by the neck. Even a few days improves them and they pluck very easily

Latest posts