• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Phone Call Yesterday afternoon

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
A cousin, that lives across the road from where our cows are, called yesterday. He'd been out lookin for his missin dogs over on our place.
(unfortunately his dogs both got ran over by the train) Anyway, he had gone over there and seen a strange truck parked down by the creek. He went home and called us to let us know. Mr Lilly jumped in the truck and drove out to see what was goin on.
Just as he pulled up to their truck, here they come, at a rather quick pace......with my bull following them at an equally quick pace!! They said they were squirrel huntin, and had shot guns. No trouble getting them to leave, they were more than ready, since my bull was "stalkin" them. That was their werd for it.....stalkin.....hahahaha
More like....."got anything to eat?" but if it keeps hunters away.....that's fine with me.

That's funny Lilly. Had a white tail hunter walking thru the pasture last week. It was near dark and he smelled like "fox urine". 2 horned cows and the horned bull followed him to his truck. He was a little concerned. :D
I told him I didn't want the cattle to hurt him but if he EVER were to draw down on one of them he was gonna wish it was that horned bull that got to him instead of me. Since then he has chosen a different spot to cross into the woods at.

Over the years I have had two Charolis cows shot with shot guns- - - - probably rabbit hunters as most squirrl hunters in this area use 22 rifles.

I'm sure the cows probably approached them looking for a quick hand out but if you are from the city and a cow that big comes up to you in the woods you could feel threatened.

I also had a two year old filly that came up with an 18" gash 3" to 4" deep on her neck that took several hours of surgery to repair ( the young man working for me came to the house that morning and told me her head had been cut off). The Vet thought someone stealing Christmas trees had struck her with an AX.

I have now purchased custom signs they state

NO TRESSPASSING ( this is in red - - the rest in Black)

No hunting, no fishing, no ATVs, no motorcycles, no gocarts, no golf carts.

Property is patroled by the Indiana State police, Henry County Sheriffs Dept and the Department of Natural Resources.

ALL VIOLATORS WILL BE ARRESTED FOR MALICIOUS TRESSPASS THIS CARRIES A $1,000.00 CASH BOND. All viechles will be confiscated and sold with the proceeds going to the Indiana Drug Task force.

Notice: Training by the Henry County Swat team monthly on the property!

I know this is probably the longest no tresspassing sign in history but with these posted at each entrance to the property I have had good results.

The DNR and Sherriffs dept stop anyone they see hunting or fishing and if they do not have one of my business cards with a hand written permission signed by me on the back they do arrest them. You would be suprised how quickly the word gets out and my property now gets a wide birth.

People are very upset when the police haul their ATVs off and sell them - - - the offender still has to pay any loan off. This is even if the procicuter drops the charges. If they go thru a bail bondsman they are out 10% per person just for that.

Faster horses said:
Your sign reminded me of one we used long ago.

"NO TRESPASSING. NO HUNTING.

Survivors will be prosecuted."

OR......."NO TRESPASSING. NO HUNTING.

Survivors will be persecuted."[/quote]...................good luck

Latest posts