• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Photo Test

Help Support Ranchers.net:

photo.php

I picked up some pretty good Meat Cooking skills. I had a bunch f product I needed to show others how to make in order to sell.... My Sausages are pretty good and a great way to use up trim!

I just neeed to find a good medium to share them on here. Clicking Links always spooks me ;-}

Sure,

The first thing is find a marinade or rub of your liking. Round hasn't the flavor of Chuck, so I call it the "Bread meat". You add flavors to it. The Meat snob in me gets his panties in a wad when you do this with flavorful cuts ;-}

Second, very low and slow. You want to make certain and not over cook it. Round really doesn't have a lot of Collagen to break down. You don't have to heat it to 190 to begin the breakdown of Collagen to Gelatin as you would with Chuck or brisket. Low and slow also helps preserve the moisture.

Sidenote, I am not a believer in searing. It actually breaks down Z Cells and tends to dry meat out in low temp long time cooking. High quick heat should only be for caramelizing sugars IMO. Do you have sugars to caramelize?

So, these i smoked for about 30 minutes. I then wrap in foil and finish to about 140 degrees meat temp. Foiling helps preserve the juices. Pull and let the meat cool and resorb juices for about 30 minutes.

The key to edible is really in the cutting. I prefer thin slice (Your mind tells you it is tough meat if you are trying to bite through thick round) across the grain for a more tender bite.

Quick catering tip. Keep the steak knives sharp. If people slice into meat with a dull knife, their mind is telling them it is a tough cut.

FH,

Searing to keep the juices in is IMO the biggest meat cooking "fib" out there. I had this verified by a guy that studied meat science at Fresno State and was on the Meat Judging Team. The high heat destroys ZCells allowing juices to escape. You also create a dry spot. The juices in the meat will tend to the dry spot and it creates a moisture loss area.

At Rare, you are done so fast you won't notice. At Medium or medium well, it will often be dry at high quick heats.

I do several things to make meat Juicy. One, I don't cook the juices out of the meat. At low heat, you will see what looks like beads of sweat on the meat surface. That means it isn't evaporating off.

You can also make sure there is a moisture barrier against the meat. Oil in the pan, pour Au juice or stock on the meat as cooking, Wrapping meat and allowing proper resting before slicing. All of them are good techniques.

I haven't been mailing meat. Freight is more than the meat in many cases. It is admittedly my mental block. I know I wouldn't pay that. I need to realize when someone buys steaks for a dinner party in New York, part of the value is bragging to friends about steaks they purchased from an Oregon Ranch with pristine pastures ;-}

Latest posts