• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Photo tour around South Central South Dakota

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Turkey Track Bar

Reaction score
These are a photo tour around central South Dakota. They were taken on a bull delivering marathon...we fought the southern wind all the way while going south, and had it behind us between White River and Midland, then the wind switched, and we fought it between Midland and home.

002.jpg

Sign at truck stop in Kimball (not Mitchell...thanks for correcting me Andy :oops: )

003.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

Crossing the Missouri River at Lake Francis Case. It is between Geddes and Winner on SD Hwy 44. This is probably one of the prettiest spots in South Dakota.

014.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

015.jpg

These photos provide a GREAT argument for no or minimum till farming. It is easy to see where the fields have stubble and where they do not. Where they do not the visability is less than an eighth of a mile.

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

Scenery around White River

021.jpg

020.jpg

Crossing the White River and the White River Valley

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

I enjoyed the little tour,except for the blurry ones..I'm guessing rain or were you and lazy ace foggin up the windows or camera lens..lol South Dakota does have some awfully pretty countryside..

Jassy said:
I enjoyed the little tour,except for the blurry ones..I'm guessing rain or were you and lazy ace foggin up the windows or camera lens..lol South Dakota does have some awfully pretty countryside..

fogging up the windows... :lol:

No, it was dust from the disked (I assume) fields down by Winner. The fields with some type of cover or stubble weren't blowing. I can only imagine the amount of top soil lost. :x

I'm still chuckling about the windows...and shaking my head. I'd expect that of Jigs or Mike...but you. It's always the quiet ones you need to be aware of!

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

I have cross that bridge several times the last few years as my in-laws live about 40 miles west of there. I think it is some of the prettiest country in SD. Plus it seems they are always getting some moisture to boot. Good cow country and once you get out of the breaks and back on top, their is some real good farm ground as well. Maybe the best spot is SD to Farm/ranch.

I crossed the Missouri there quite a few times When I was driving truck there's a little spot on the other end of that bridge and them DOT van's sat there quite a bit and stopped ya. on heckuva pull going west.

Mini Rancher, I don't recall that exact spot from my driving days, but I do remember a rather serious pull going South out of Pierre. It sure got the pyrometer to climbing!

movin' on said:
Mini Rancher, I don't recall that exact spot from my driving days, but I do remember a rather serious pull going South out of Pierre. It sure got the pyrometer to climbing!

first hill out of Pierre, Yea that is a hard pull too, blew a rebuilt motor that was just about three days old on that hill, got a free ride back home via a tow truck on that one.

Those are some striking hills, rolling and endless. Liked the sign, too :D
Pity about the loss of top soil. One would think the govt. would put a stop to those practices that deplete soil instead of promoting wolves and prairie dogs.

Latest posts