• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

photos from the east

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cert

Reaction score
Been seein' all the great pics you western ranchers post and thought I toss in some from the east. Hope you all don't mind. Sorry if the pictures are too big.

This balloon went down on the back side of the hill.
964763-R1-16-8-2-1.jpg

Just a few of the registered cattle. Taken early spring.
herfs.jpg

Just some of last year's fall colors. Just starting to turn here now.
thrurock.jpg

Just a little swayl. Almost looks fake don't it?
014_11A1.jpg

Part of the pasture view from the barn.
farrocks.jpg

I'm in SE Ohio.

A swayl around here is maybe like your draw. But we have draw's too so that might not be right. Swayl is a dip between to small hills. Holler is a little deeper than a swayl. Clear as mud?

Here is another picture from horse back and I didn't adjust for that. Got more clouds than I wanted. Oh well. This is a swayl too.
013_12A.jpg

Pretty country! Thanks for posting. I sent a saddle over to the western side of Ohio to a longhorn breeder, a couple of years ago. Always wondered what that country looked like.

Beautiful pictures. That is pretty swayl country fer sure.

Noah calls it a "swale" which is "a hollow, depression, or low area of land" and can also be "such a place in a wet, marshy area."

gee and i thought noah was swallowed by the swale.guess i was wrong 8) :p

What a swell swayle.
In Delaware we'd call that a "mountain." :lol:

i was gonna ask you what part of OH you were from earlier (before i saw these pics), kinda makes me homesick for southern IN....i'm from NE IN originally. now i'm in NE NE, wonder if that means something??? :)

Chuckie, I'm just a hop from Wheeling, WV.

I grew up in row crop country in north east Ohio. Flat enough that you drop the plow, head down and come back and it is lunch time. Sometimes I miss the flat ground, but these hills kinda grow on you. My old man had a fit when he saw hubby and I bale. I spend all day raking hay off the hillside so he can get to it with the baler. Dad thinks we should pasture those fields and never put a tractor on them.
Most the pastures are not tillable. Either too steep or too many rocks. They get frost seeded and brush hogged. Bout it.
Hubby tells Dad that we farm more acres when we farm the hills because we get to use both sides of the hill!

I have an uncle in Modoc, IN. Pretty little town if I remember right. Only been out there once.

talk about row-crop country!!!!! NE IN is almost as good as ILL and most of OH (boy that's a LONG drive going east to west :) ) i agree with you on the hills growing on you. one of these days i'll figure out how to post pics from here--the hills are AWESOME.

and i've found that (you sandhills guys will relate to this maybe), that when i go back east, i get claustrophobia, BAD, because of all the trees. they just HANG over you, taking over the world :roll:

my mom always said you could play pool all the way across northern IN, and never worry about the table being level!

I have been admiring all the photos from Lilly, soapweed and jinglebob just to name a few. Can't imagine being able to see that far. And it isn't town that gets in my way here. I can be on horse back on the tallest hill here, and not see to the other side of the property. Nice for privacy, but I'd like to try my hand out west someday.

One thing I REALLY like about the hills...the lack of wind. Up home in the NE, it is like standing beside a silo all the time. The only wind you get here is on the tops of the ridges. We try to feed in the swayls when the weather is real bad. My cattle don't have a barn to hide in during winter like most around here.

i'm just glad you all know how to post pics! now lilly, she's hoot, and that country looks DRY to me, even with all the trees. and soapweed, saddletramp and jinglebob--there, if you look, you can see why the sandhills of western NE are called "sandhills"--i'm not sure how they ever grow enough grass to feed their cows!!!!

it is WAY cool to see everyone's outfits on this site; the country, the cattle, the horses....kinda makes the world smaller, but more like a community. oh god, i'm getting sentimental :oops:

sorry...

I'm moving cows off leased pastures tommoorrow onto other leased places. I'll try to remember camera. Most of this is small bunches,

Probably won't post till late next week, at home I am restricted to dial-up

PPRM

Chuckie we are extremely DRY right now, You'd never know we had over 70 inches of rain from january thru march. Then alot of thunder showers in july. Now it's dry as a powder house. We got a whole 1/2 inch outta Rita, all it did was draw out the wild hogs, I"m gonna try tomorrow to take some pictures of just exactly what they can do over night to a hay field.
Should start to rain here soon since usually October starts our rainy season.

I'll be thinking how pretty and smooth that Ohio country must be today while I spend most of it beating my butt across the Sandhills :wink: . We've got some talented picture takers on here.

Latest posts