• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Photos of March born bull calves

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BRG

Reaction score
Here are some March born bull calves. We will wean them next week some time. To me they seem bigger and more powerful than years past. I am curious to see what they actually weigh. We weighed them all on July 13 to see how they are doing and to compare what they are now and to see which ones did it best over the summer.

This is a Diamond Back son - Birthdate 3/6/12 - weighed 508 lbs on July 13

This is another Diamond Back son - Birthdate 3/17/12 - weighed 442 on July 13

Here is a Grand Statement son - Birthdate 3/7/12 - weighed 461 lbs on July 13

This is another Grand Statement son - Birthdate 3/1/12 - weighed 514 lbs on July 13

Here is a cow/calf pair- the calf is a Red Dawg son - birthdate 3/9/12 - weighed 488 lbs on July 13.
[/url

Good looking calves!! I got a question for you though. As most everyone knows, I take in K bar 2's cattle. He bought some Red Angus heifers, and sent them out here with their second calf. My question is... are all Red Angus like these? They brush up, take off at a dead run, or want to fight. If I am going to have trouble moving anything, it will be high percentage Red Angus. He has some 6 year olds, that are almost as bad, and most of them have been here at least 3 years. I am not saying its the breed, but right now, I have NO USE for Red Angus!!!! The calves out of them are amazing, I just can't do anything with the cows!!

I would say those cows are the exception. Their are goofy cows in every breed, but that is not a Red Angus thing. In fact it is the opposite as most Red Angus are docile. I would say these cows were raised that way or something else happened to spook them sometime in their life. We handle ours with a horse and they hardly ever see someone on foot, but when they do, they let me walk right through them. Their may be a cows or 2 that is goofy, but they don't stick around here very long if they are like that. I also do alot of customer visits and walk through them to have a look and take photos of them, and hardly ever do they run off, wander but not run.

An old cowman in this country raised Angus cattle 40 back when the whole area was Hereford. Another rancher once asked Buck why he stayed with those "snorty cows". Buck's reply was that if you were cowboy enough to handle them Angus cattle were just fine. :wink:

He then went on to say that he sure disliked driving a bunch of sleepy old Herefords anywhere. :lol:

I like the look of the second calf BRG.

Need to go find me some good red baldy cows to put one of those bad boys on. Look great, and that mama in the last picture looks real nice.

Not sure my cattle deserve the bad reputation they are getting on here?! I handle the cows when they are at home with both a horse and 4wheeler and honestly do not consider them hard to handle. All calves recieve a tag at birth and two vaccinations and with the exception of good old #613 I did not have trouble with them this spring. Most times when I drive them to and from different locations it is done with myself and my son who is a senior in high school horseback and my 72 year young dad out front leadin the way with the bale proccesor or the cake pickup. :?

I didn't mean anything bad towards you when I tried to answer his question. I don't know why they are wild for him but in general Red Angus aren't that way.

You guys are probably right, its got to be my dogs. Just kinda seems weird that I have been able to handle them with just Lisa, 2 dogs and myself up until this year. I am pretty sure that there are some 900 numbered cows that WILL NOT be back here again.

LazyWP said:
You guys are probably right, its got to be my dogs. Just kinda seems weird that I have been able to handle them with just Lisa, 2 dogs and myself up until this year. I am pretty sure that there are some 900 numbered cows that WILL NOT be back here again.

It would be interesting if a guy could find out if their was a predominant sire group involved with that set of cattle...
Genetics can play a big influence on temperment and docility....

I dont think its just the red angus LazyWP, we got a set of cows this year that Dan is ready to send home to. They are also second calvers. I dont know what the deal is but they dont want to stay put. Been on tubs for a month and a half and started wondering again. And they have some of the better grass on the place.

Hereford76 said:
why the july weights?

We gave preweaning shots when we pulled the bulls and just for our own curiousity we took weights of all the bull calves. We will wean next week and take the actual weaning weights then. This weigh with both weights we know how they did on grass a little better.

Latest posts