• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pics from E. Arkansas

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jedstivers

Reaction score
ab43c969.jpg

7271cfde.jpg

Used old pivot pipe to make this one
1dcaf98d.jpg

b62b72c6.jpg

Stockers
3f789513.jpg

Calves eating gin trash
fe70e895.jpg

d4424d8c.jpg

cdc4aecb.jpg

Cotton harvest 2010

Jed I enjoyed your pics. I have an old Donahue that I haul bales on sometimes. They work decent but there isn't much rubber on the ground for the weight I think I'm putting on. No problems though. Cotton sure isn't seen around here although some old tax records indicate that it has been grown here.

redrobin said:
Jed I enjoyed your pics. I have an old Donahue that I haul bales on sometimes. They work decent but there isn't much rubber on the ground for the weight I think I'm putting on. No problems though. Cotton sure isn't seen around here although some old tax records indicate that it has been grown here.
Thanks RR, those are corn stalk bales so they are light. On the heavier stuff we just load less of them. The way it's set up we can load fast an go.

Jed, I've heard it said that growing cotton is really hard on the land. Is that indeed a fact? Personally, I think corn is probably as hard on the land as anything.

The locals have told me that some cotton was once grown on this piece I'm negotiating to buy. I'm sure that was many years ago.

burnt said:
Those are really interesting pictures! What is cotton residue like? It looks kinda dry and stemmy like soybean straw..
Its harder than soybeans, kinda like a woody bush. Most fields are shredded right behind the picker. I leave all of mine that I am going to graze because the left over cotton is also cotton seed. When they have picked some stalks clean if it's dry or frozen we will cut the stalks because the wheat will grow better with more sunlight hitting it.

Whitewing said:
Jed, I've heard it said that growing cotton is really hard on the land. Is that indeed a fact? Personally, I think corn is probably as hard on the land as anything.

The locals have told me that some cotton was once grown on this piece I'm negotiating to buy. I'm sure that was many years ago.
Cotton, grass and trees are the only crops that can be grown without rotation is what I've heard all my life. However it does better with rotation so we do that. Before good farming practices cotton or any other crops were grown without an inputs till the ground was just worn out.

nortexsook said:
How does feeding the trash work for you? How much do the cattle eat per day, ect...?
Works real good. It's not high in protein but the wheat is supplying that an the trash is better than hay even though I am feeding some of that too. Don't know how much they eat per day as we have it free choice also feed it out the back of a spreader.
8f4f3bd8.jpg
1118b343.jpg

efb said:
Looks like a good cotton yield and good prices too, a rare combination. :D Thanks for posting.
Yep, that field was real good. Got good prices for the coming year, I've booked a good bit. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop an take any profit away.

Latest posts