• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

pics from Pharo Cattle Co bull sale today

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cattle.com
Kit Pharo's Upset Again

WEDNESDAY, MAY 05, 2010
The man who made his name telling the entire beef industry they don't know how to raise cattle is once again upset over "Pharo Bashing" in his most recent newsletter.

This happens about once a year or so when people who aren't on his e-mail list watch his sales on RFD and wonder if they woke up in the Twilight Zone. The conversation typically goes something like my dad calling and saying "JEFF, turn on RFD, you won't believe what these bulls look like and what they are selling for" to which I reply "oh, time flies, I forgot the Pharo sale was today".

It's always good for a bit of a laugh when he includes this in his newsletter because of the lack of self awareness it requires. The best part had to be this quote...

Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss other people.

What was funny about it? He spent the previous three paragraphs calling people "afraid of change", "filled with hatred and anger", "jealous", and "filled with envy".

To be clear, I really have nothing against the man, I've actually helped them spot a domain name issue one time when their webmaster got lazy and didn't have it on auto-renew. You haven't seen me bash Kit's philosophies on here because they do make quite a bit of sense in the right environment. I'll say that I know a lot of people that are "low input" and they'll laugh at you if you said a $5,000 bull was low input.

What doesn't make sense is for somebody who has made a name for himself criticising everything other than what he does to have such an amazingly thin skin.

By Jeff

The cooperator deal has an odor to it. It easy to stand behind something you raised and saw most everyday. I've heard a bunch of stories from neighbors of ''cooperator'' herds.

I personally do not care for his bulls. but the thing that I really do not like, is, as a producer, I do not raise my cattle EXACTLY like any one else.... similar, yes, but exactly, no....Kit seems to think if you are not JUST LIKE HIM, you are a fool and an idiot....what works in the grain belt is different than the eastern slope, than Canada, than the south west....and on and on.

his ego and arrogance of how to operate is what turns me off most. if you want to sell a man a bull, promote the bull, promote the deal, but don't tell a man how to run his herd.

not going to see a PCC bull at my place anytime too soon.

I appreciate Kit for pushing low input genetics.

What I don't like, is he'll quote Scripture in one breath, and put down all other seed stock producers in the next breath. Something tells me that the good Lord himself wouldn't do it that way.

Greenswede said:

What I don't like, is he'll quote Scripture in one breath, and put down all other seed stock producers in the next breath. Something tells me that the good Lord himself wouldn't do it that way.

Yep-- I like some of the ideas Kit promotes- and some of the type of lower input cattle- but one type/way of doing things does not fit all situations/locations-- and Kit is not very open to discussion with anyone with opposing ideas...
Its his way or the highway....

He is one that fits the saying, "Love you on Sunday, Fv(k you on Monday."

Some think that just because they go to church that they are the greatest and can do no wrong as long as they are in church come sunday.

Seems like the ones that stab ya in the back the hardest are the ones that nobody can believe it happened becuase they are the biggest church go'ers and are so nice, blah blah.

Nothing against going to church and God but some go every sunday and just dont get the message. They are the ones, that we that do get it, need to pray for.

eatbeef said:

Some think that just because they go to church that they are the greatest and can do no wrong as long as they are in church come sunday.

Seems like the ones that stab ya in the back the hardest are the ones that nobody can believe it happened becuase they are the biggest church go'ers and are so nice, blah blah.

Nothing against going to church and God but some go every sunday and just dont get the message. They are the ones, that we that do get it, need to pray for.

Worked for a guy like that when I was in college. The whole community was led to believe that he had a throne at the right hand of the Almighty. Well let me tell you, this ol' boy could cuss and belittle the help unitl the sun would set. Made you feel about as low and stupid as a man could feel and it didn't take a major screwup to rile him. I'm really surprised he never punched any of us hired guys. Total nut-job and I have had fun laughing about him ever since. At the time, he had me scared to death! Probably one of the best experiences I could have had, but all negative and taught me to get back to school and seek out good opportunities. The Lord works in mysterious ways!

eatbeef said:

:nod:

We've got one like that here. He'll cuss right on the church steps after mass. But it's an improvement to the man he was 30 years ago.

If anyone is interested- or curious regarding Pharo cattle-- Pharo will hold his sale of 250 head of " developed WITHOUT grain" bulls in Burlington, Colorado tomorrow...
And it will be telecast on RFD-TV as well as on the Superior Livestock website.... It starts at 12 NOON Mountain time...

Recorded Pharos sale and watched some of it last night... He definitely had some better looking bulls (for grass fed bulls)- anyway in the parts of the sale I watched... Had a lot of plain janes too...

Definitely was getting some good prices on some as I heard several selling in the $5,000 to $9,000 range...
I think his base price on anything was $2500+...

eatbeef said:

We got enough of them around here to!! I would just as soon deal with a drinker and one that swears like a drunkin sailor,then a church goer.As soon as i hear he or she is a church goer,i got the red flag up and being cautious with how i deal with them and making sure i don't end up getting screwed!!

The cattle definently looked better at the second sale. But as dry as that country has been there is no way those bulls were developed on just forage and look like that. Forage plus distillers grain maybe.

Kit posted this on his FB page...It sounded to me like the majority of the bulls were going to the plains states-- with a lot going to ND...

Colorado Bull Sale...
Unofficially... we sold 225 bulls for an average price of $4277... The bulls were purchased by customers from 21 different states and two Canadian provinces.

Latest posts