• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pics from the great sand box

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hanta Yo

Reaction score
Our son sent us some pics from the great sandbox (Iraq)

HPIM0263.jpg

He is a machine gunner for the battallion commander security detail, also being on top it is his job to see IED's, last week he missed one, he got a minor concussion, everyone else was OK. He felt bad about missing that one. I'm glad they are all OK.

Another pic of the gun on top:

HPIM0262.jpg

A pic of our marine:

HPIM0248.jpg

A pic of a sandstorm in the great sandbox:

HPIM0251.jpg

Looks like a couple of dairy cows there :shock: :shock: :shock:

ditto what dave said. damned glad to have kids like him around....I just pray they all get home safe!

Praying for a safe return.

Was at a funeral yesterday and Tam's nephew was there in his dress uniform. Army Airborne. He got hit with IED and blew him out of the truck. That was in Afganistan. He is walking but has has surgeries on both feet. Guess he is desk bound but not happy about it.

Those roads in Iraq look better then in Saskatchewan. :)

My nephew has also served there and sent pictures similar,,,he made it home safe from his 1st tour, and actually got to be "home" on Mothers Day today,,,but he does have to go back in July for another tour...All these soldiers are in my prayers and thoughts...be safe

How can anyone be expected to spot the IED's in that dustbowl is beyond me.

We honor your son for his service and hope he gets home soon. (He looks so very young under those goggles.)

Holsteins are the only breed I saw over there.
There is one thing I miss about the sandbox, when you're hungry you go to the DFAC (dining facility) and get whatever you want. Hmm, do I want steak or lobster tales today? I think I'll have both. Maybe the king crab legs. Variety is good but everything is cooked a few degrees shy of the flashpoint. Fortunately the PX occasionaly had steaks and I could cook one with charcol to the desired degree or doneness...BLEEDING!

Thanks to your son. We have a set of very good friends serving over there on their third tour.

I can't imagine being in one of those sandstorms. Those are great pictures...especially the one of him!! Better frame that one, maybe with a poem :wink: Will be glad when they are all home safe and sound.

Iraq068-1.jpg

when their 7 ton hit an IED, lucky that it was not a direct hit, my man got thrown off the turret but not hurt

Iraq055-1.jpg

a trigger for an IED that was seen before it was hit.

Jassy, tell your nephew thanks for his service, and to keep his head down and his powder dry when he goes back. Ben, you must of had the good duty, all those Marines want from us is food cause they only get real food once in awhile. Thank you for your service.

I was pretty fortunate, I lived within a 10-15 minute walk from where our General for Iraq hung his hat, Camp Victory.

Latest posts