• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

pics from the last couple days

Help Support Ranchers.net:

R A

Reaction score
Been putting up hay. I started on the poorest part.

I mow it, rake it, break down with the baler, make piles with the windrows, pitch fork it in my truck and get it in the barn with the pitch fork, work on the baler between mowing.

I'm putting up hay, just not like I would like. :D I'll be able to wash clothes on my stomach by the end of the summer and will have built a lot of character, if that sayin applies to putting all this loose hay in the barn. :D

ee1.jpg

ee.jpg

ee5.jpg

ee6.jpg

ee7.jpg

I feel my little sickly colt project is coming along ok. First picture is of him the day after I got him in Jan a few months ago. I went to worming him, treating his snotty nose, cough and rain rot. He just turned a year old.

aaaa.jpg

ee12.jpg

ee11.jpg

ee10.jpg

I'm waiting for my calves to get just a tad older, then I am going to brand and vaccinate them. They are starting to hit 3 months old now.

ee3.jpg

ee22.jpg

ee21.jpg

ee20.jpg

ee19.jpg

ee18.jpg

ee17.jpg

ee16.jpg

ee15.jpg

ee14.jpg

ee13.jpg

Started a few gardens for the first time ever. I have a sweet corn patch, strawberry patch, a pumkin patch, watermelon patch and a couple gardens for everything else. I'm learning a lot about gardening!

ee24.jpg

ee23.jpg

Nice pics as always, RA! The colt transformation in pretty amazing! Looks like you are doing great minus the breakdowns. Calves look really good too!

I envy the quality of your crops, calves and exuberance RA. :D

If you are resigning yourself to loose hay I have an old dump rake that is yours for the taking. The trip might cost you more than a baler that works though.....

WVGenetics said:
Nice pics as always, RA! The colt transformation in pretty amazing! Looks like you are doing great minus the breakdowns. Calves look really good too!

Thank you! It didn't seem like that colt was ever going to get better, but then changed over night it seemed.

gcreekrch said:
I envy the quality of your crops, calves and exuberance RA. :D

If you are resigning yourself to loose hay I have an old dump rake that is yours for the taking. The trip might cost you more than a baler that works though.....

Thank you! A dump rake would be be a big help wouldn't it....I've never seen one being used, but have seen pictures on here of them. It would take out one of the pitch fork steps....I'll be up :D

Soapweed said:
You run a good operation, R A, and your livestock is lucky to belong to you. Thanks for the pictures. It's fun to see that bright green color of your grass.

Thank you! I'd love to be bringing in this hay with a nice team like you have.

My last load of the evening yesterday. Light day today. Huge couple days after today.
e1-1.jpg

my tractor and John Deere 38 pull behind sickle bar mower. I just put all new blades on it and changed from rivots to bolts on them.
e-1.jpg

this is why I am broke down at the moment with the baler. $400 for a new knotter frame :shock: ...and that's just the frame. $1200 for a new knotter assembly. I'm trying to find a cheaper route to replace it at the moment.
e2.jpg

I've started making things and messing around with woodworking.

Simple little brand decoration. It's darker now.
b13.jpg

simple little coasters
b10.jpg

simple little pallet restoration
e1.jpg

e7.jpg

e.jpg

simple little dinning room table
e5.jpg

e4.jpg

We were lucky to find a couple of used balers not too far from home and could rob whatever parts we needed when we ran a 14T. Might there be a chance of finding one around your territory if you'd talk to some old folks who know a bit of history from the area?

Check on Tractorhouse. There are 2 14T for sale at $989.00 each and several 24T at under $2000. Most are not far from you compared to my dumprake.

Please keep putting up your hay loose as it makes me feel better about myself and my fence projects that are powered the same way your loose hay operation is! :D Things look swell aound your place RA. That colt has bloomed under your care even if your baled has went the other direction. With old equipment, there always comes a time when replacing it might work better that fixing it.

:agree:

when square balers first came out, the JD "D" was the main or second tractor on lot's of farm's. three speeds,no live PTO etc. New Holland started putting engines on their balers so that they could be pulled with any thing and any speed. perhaps you could find an engine drive baler in better shape than the one you have. :wink:

I think I still have a 14T down at my folks place. I would sell the whole thing for a bunch less then just the knotter frame. Might even give it to ya, but I am not hauling it that far.

GREEN grass, BLUE skies and fat/sassy/satisfied cattle.....doesn't get a whole lot better!!! sigh.......sure is pretty where you are at!! we are finally getting some much needed moisture here, but that ever present madison valley wind will take that soon enough!! as always, love the pics...keep 'em coming!!! by the way....do you need my mailing address so i can help take care of some of that watermelon you planted?? :wink: :wink:

I tell ya. RA, that baler is the only thing on your place that doesn't look
good. That colt, I'm amazed at the turn-around in him. He sure needed
YOU!!! He's gorgeous. I know you will never sell him, but his color makes
him worth more than other colored colts. Now I'm wondering what color
of roan he is, and if he will stay that color. I thought he'd be a black roan
but he isn't that color now.

Ya done (and are doing) good, kid!!!! :D

Not going to be much hay in our country or in parts of SD and Wyoming.
Nice to see yours!!

I scraped out a 14T last fall that was on a farm I bought - - - I should have kept the knotters - - I would have given them to you!

Hey, lets not judge(pic below).....lol.....sometimes you have to find ways to work the ranch when you have a 5 year old and a 2 week old baby. :D

e6.jpg

I'll be back to reply to everyone's replies!

I have raised 3 kids in southern iowa.
sometimes you have to do what ya gotta do,,keep being creative
and you'll be just fine.

Latest posts