• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pictures, December 9, 2011

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Theyareallhalfbrothers800x600.jpg

Polled Hereford bull calves
Herefordbulls800x600.jpg

They are all half brothers out of the same sire, and their mothers are closely related.
Heifercalvescomingtocake800x600.jpg

Heifer calves coming in to cake
Stringingoutalittlehay800x600.jpg

Stringing out a little hay
Curiouscritters800x600.jpg

Curious critters
Nottoomuchsnowontheground800x600.jpg

Not too much snow on the ground
Juststartingtofeedcake800x600-1.jpg

Just starting to feed cake to some of the cows
Yearlingheiferspregnantwiththeirfirstcalf800x600.jpg

Yearling heifers pregnant with their first calf
Givingyearlingheiferssomehay800x600.jpg

Giving yearling heifers some hay
Sunisgoingdown800x600.jpg

Sun is going down
Andthemooniscomingup800x600.jpg

And the moon is coming up
Beastofburden800x600.jpg

Beast of burden
Windmillatsundown800x600.jpg

Windmill at sundown
Thejetistravelingfaster800x600.jpg

The jet is traveling at a rapid rate.
Windmillsnaturallykeeptheiceaway800x600.jpg

Windmills naturally keep the ice from becoming too thick.
Sentineloftheprairie800x600.jpg

Sentinel of the prairie
Makingprettygoodtime800x600.jpg

Making pretty good time
Theirancestorjumpedoverthemoon800x600.jpg

Modern bovines lack the ambition of earlier generations. Cows of today just stand around on the ground,
even though their earlier ancestors thought nothing of jumping over the moon.
Redskyatnight800x600.jpg

Red sky at night
Darkthirty800x600.jpg

Dark thirty
Tothis800x6002.jpg

Playing around with photo editing
Bigmoonovercattlecountry800x600.jpg

Big moon over cattle country
Mooninthenightsky800x600.jpg

Moon in the night sky
Feedpickupatdusk800x600.jpg

Feed pickup at dusk

I was concerned you were out of film Soapweed. Thanks for the Nebraska tour.

Soapweed said:
time
Theirancestorjumpedoverthemoon800x600.jpg

Modern bovines lack the ambition of earlier generations. Cows of today just stand around on the ground,
even though their earlier ancestors thought nothing of jumping over the moon.

"sense of entitlement"

Once again, some great pics, thanks

Very nice pictures!!! ......too much ranchin eye candy for me to take!!! :D just jokin....I love it!

Great photos, always enjoy them. Do you have any pheasants, quail or turkey in your country ? Don't remember seeing any. Our quail have disapeared 8 or 10 years ago and I really miss them.

efb said:
Great photos, always enjoy them. Do you have any pheasants, quail or turkey in your country ? Don't remember seeing any. Our quail have disapeared 8 or 10 years ago and I really miss them.

We have always had sharp-tailed grouse in this area, and quite a few of them. Back in the 1960's, the pheasant population was coming on strong, but the severe blizzard on March 3rd and 4th, 1966 killed most of them out. Pheasants have been few and far between since then, until just the past several years. Now there seem to be about as many pheasants around as grouse. Possibly many of the pheasants that now abound had their start being raised purposely to be turned loose for hunting season. Wild turkeys have been plentiful down along the Niobrara River for many years, but there are occasionally turkeys to be seen around treelots and in more rolling hill area, also. I have never seen any quail in this vicinity.

Great picture Soap. I will ship you some turkey, a few quail, and elk, for some of your pheasants. They tell me that if you have an abundance of turkey, you won't have much in the way of pheasant, and we are over loaded with turkey.

great heifer weanlings soapweed. you have some number. Great to see your photos as always. Your escaping well on the snow so far.

Hi Soapweed,

Just curious is the cake feeder you have a Triple C, the same as your bale feeder? I was just looking at them on the net the other day and thought they looked like a good combo. Is there any problems with the cake feeder? Likes or dislikes? I have been thinking of getting a pickup with a Hydra bed as could save lots of time on my tractors, especially in the spring when hauling feed to several buches.

Cattle look great as always.

Howdy

Howdy1 said:
Hi Soapweed,

Just curious is the cake feeder you have a Triple C, the same as your bale feeder? I was just looking at them on the net the other day and thought they looked like a good combo. Is there any problems with the cake feeder? Likes or dislikes? I have been thinking of getting a pickup with a Hydra bed as could save lots of time on my tractors, especially in the spring when hauling feed to several buches.

Cattle look great as always.

Howdy

Yes, the cake feeder is a Triple C, made by the same company that makes Hydra-Bed bale feeders. The combination works great, but the big 1800 model caker probably works best on an eleven-foot bed. It actually holds 1500 pounds of cake, and the smaller caker, the 1200 model, holds an even 1000 pounds. The only problem with the bigger caker is that the lid is so big that it doesn't fit under one of our overhead cake bins. Our son Sparky remedied that with a trap door that doesn't require very much space in which to open. I would give a "thumbs up" to all of Triple C's products. The Hydra-Beds and cakers work very well, and stand the test of time.

Soapweed, i have to ask....so what are you going to do with all those hereford colored calves if you turn those bulls out? it would be a shame to screw up pot loads of black calves with some herefords :wink: :D

Justin said:
Soapweed, i have to ask....so what are you going to do with all those hereford colored calves if you turn those bulls out? it would be a shame to screw up pot loads of black calves with some herefords :wink: :D

There are still five months ahead to ponder that perplexing problem. :roll: :wink:

I ponder that the Choice/Select price spread is currently $18 / cwt., carcass basis, and the Certified Angus Beef product is in high demand. In such a scenario, with marbling so necessary to fulfill both premiums (not just a black hide, you doubters and mud slingers out there :lol: ), I feel it foolish to mess with a good set of highly Angus influenced cattle. Yes, I'm biased, and admit that I do have Simm-Angus cattle of my own. Still, I wouldn't fool with it. :D

However, I'd like to have a good set of black baldy heifers to sell, not keep. :wink:

Maybe you weren't looking for voters?? :gag:

High Plains said:
I ponder that the Choice/Select price spread is currently $18 / cwt., carcass basis, and the Certified Angus Beef product is in high demand. In such a scenario, with marbling so necessary to fulfill both premiums (not just a black hide, you doubters and mud slingers out there :lol: ), I feel it foolish to mess with a good set of highly Angus influenced cattle. Yes, I'm biased, and admit that I do have Simm-Angus cattle of my own. Still, I wouldn't fool with it. :D

However, I'd like to have a good set of black baldy heifers to sell, not keep. :wink:

Maybe you weren't looking for voters?? :gag:

Any comments are more than welcome, and will be sifted through and pondered upon before any drastic decisions are made. "A wise man can change his mind; a fool never does." :wink:

Latest posts