• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pictures from our 2012 cattle drive back in February

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Well, after a bunch of hair-pulling, teeth nashing and muffled curses, i was able to get this new computer to stand still long enough to bridle it, i mean upload pictures! :D Most of ya know we spend three days trailing the cows across the desert from the summer range to thier winter home at my cousin's place. We cross three counties and move almost 60 miles. This year we left the cows out on private stockpiled grass until February as the winter was mild enough and the hay expensive enough it made sense to let them feed themselves. We started out early as the first day is almost 25 miles. It was clear and chilly but a fine ride.
DSC00747.jpg

Phil and Wayne following cows with Keg Mountain in the distance.
DSC00748.jpg

The ears of my mount "Cisco" with the Sheeprock mountains where we started from as a backdrop. We have ranched on the high desert for 5 generations. Unless a cougar eats me, i'll probably end up with a permanent spot up there looking over MY DESERT. :D
DSC00749.jpg

Stringing through the Allinson Knolls heading for Desert Mountain.
DSC00750.jpg

X marks the spot! :D Contrails from folks who didn't know we were down here made a fine aiming point. I was glad to be a horseback and not airborne.
DSC00751.jpg

Get'a'long lil' doggies, get'a'long
DSC00752.jpg

We made the wire trap/corral at 2:30 in the afternoon. Those cows really strung out and headed for home. Day two i was joined by my good lookin' wife and she rode Cisco. Her and I and Phil moved them about 12 miles to another trap for the evening.
DSC00753.jpg

Phil and "Bandit" doing what they do best..........moseying! :D
DSC00754.jpg

That power plant is still aways off but atleast it's getting a little closer. Home is south of it 10 or 12 miles.
DSC00755.jpg

Both traps we leave em' in overnight are dry so the roadside puddles are a welcome pitstop. The morning of the third day we always let them fill up at a spreader pond that holds water. And if we don't have puddles we haul water out and fill portable troughs. Desert cows usually only water about every third day anyway this time of year.
DSC00756.jpg

Looking back to here we started from the 2nd morning. We started in Tooele county and are presently in Juab county and will finish the trip in Millard County. I had to go back to my day job and missed the last day of the drive. It took longer to gather the cows up in order to start so it messed up my schedule. But they all made it home. One young cow calved about 1/2 an hour after they turned in the gate. She had twins and both the calves and the cow are fine. :D I Can't believe it is mid March. We will haul them all back out in mid May! :shock: :D Time sure flies.
DSC00757.jpg

Thanks for the ride. Sure am glad you got your 'puter bridled. Now we expect lots of pictures.

Great pics. The one comment that struck me as funny is "My Desert". I would suggest that the desert more likely looking over "My leanin' H". Funny how places can own us so deeply...

I've been waiting for our annual trip, thanks for taking us all along :D . What happened to your wife's sorrel horse?

WyomingRancher said:
I've been waiting for our annual trip, thanks for taking us all along :D . What happened to your wife's sorrel horse?

She is coming along nicely. We just decided we'd haul our saddles to Delta and ride one of Phil's ponies in the remuda rather than drag our horses 85 miles. This is what happens when you are lazy. :wink: :D About time you posted a bundle of pictures isn't it? :D

H that country looks familiar looks like you picked a warm day to trail them :D. Mark the last week of april down on your calender that is when I will gathering ours off the desert maybe we can help each other or just sit down and shoot the bull

leanin' H said:
WyomingRancher said:

She is coming along nicely. We just decided we'd haul our saddles to Delta and ride one of Phil's ponies in the remuda rather than drag our horses 85 miles. This is what happens when you are lazy. :wink: :D About time you posted a bundle of pictures isn't it? :D

That's not being lazy, that's just being smart :wink: . That sorrel sure looked like she was going to be a pretty nice horse. I'll see what I can scrape up to post, it hasn't been too pretty this spring :? . Maybe I could start raising goats instead, got any beginner tips for me :D ?

Great pictures!!! Glad you are back in the saddle :) Now post some of the kids so we can see how much they've grown.

A real cattle drive, that is just awesome. I feel like I get to wear my big boy pants on a 3 mile drive, and in doing so, had better take 'em for a lap around the pasture their in, and the one they are going to, in the process.

Great picture story.

Bootheel

Latest posts