• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pictures from the Desert

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
We have been busy here lately. We were able to pick up another lease on some mountain ground just south of here about 15 miles. Its in the mouth of a canyon and has a stream running through it. Hasnt been grazed for 2 years. I spent a couple days fixing fence on the west side as it was in tough shape. Yesterday we gathered and trailered them from our lease in Rushvalley to thier fall home. Never packed the camera. But we checked on em' today and i took it along. Looking north as the kids checked out the creek.

The cows have plenty of groceries and should be able to stay here til late December. We had to cull hard as hay is pretty unbelieveable out here this summer. I cant make it add up paying 200+ for hay. If we have a lot of winter (which we need) i'd be broke feeding hay. :D Such is life

A replacement heifer i should probably sell if i was smart. But she is a nice heifer built how i like them and she represents some of my best genetics. So i am keeping her.

An AI calf from Ned Jr.'s Hereford bull. Keeping her as well. :D I did tell ya i was dumb, but not dumb enough to sell a great crossbred heifer.

Another nice heifer calf i like. We shall see if she makes the cut come weaning time.

Our little bunch decided we were irritating them and strung out as they fled the scene.

Us desert dwellers arent used to much h2o so we went to look at the creek. She has washed herself quite a little channel through the years.

That little stream of water is why the folks settled our valley. It runs into a reservoir down about 4 miles and then goes into a pipeline for the irrigation system we depend on. It's been a tough, mean, dry year and we ran out'a water in late June. 1 hay crop and then just water for 3 days and turn off for 3 weeks til we got another 3 days worth of water. Most guys are hoping for pasture but even that looks sparse.

TIL YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D We were hauling cows and it started to sprinkle. By the time we got them paired up it was pouring. Havent had a rain like that in years. My folks measured 1.3 inches while we got 1/2 an inch at our home. Where the cows are had to of gotten over 2 inches.

From the looks of the rubble and flood sign the creek increased about 4 feet. It was simply amazing. :D :D :D :D

Littlest H checking out the aftermath. Said he wished he had an inner tube yesterday to float the flood. :lol:

As we headed home tonight it was still coming down up on the mountain. WHAT A GODSEND!!! :D Nothing like rain to refresh the soul, to brighten your hope, to wash the rust off of your smile. Thank you Lord. Thank you so very much!!!

This old spreader dam hasnt had water in it for atleast 5 years. But it has some tonight. :D :D :D

Ya'll might remember i lost a great gelding to colic awhile back. I picked up an eight year old gelding after doing a little trading. He hasnt had much time behind cattle but he is willing and has a kind eye. I like him and hope with some wet saddle blankets, he will make a fine horse. The fun and enjoyment will be watching and helping him reach his potential.

I have named him "Twizzler" as he's a red roan. His papers say he is "Senor Dandy Hancock" but we has a "Dandy" here already and retired that name when we buried him.

A crippled twin calf we weaned early and brought home to feed out. She hurt her hip and never got over it. She packs her right hind leg but gets around the corral fine. Doing well and oughta make a beef if she keeps heading that way.

The cull pen. :cry: The bull is 4 and i have a bunch of his daughters. Decided to sell him now and not feed him (or any bull) all winter. Buy a new bull next year. The ol' red angus cow is gonna be hard to see go too. But her calves keep getting lighter at weaning and she has a hitch when she walks. It's not fun but its time. Gonna ship her calf as well. The heifer between the cow and bull was AI'd and then cleaned up. But she keeps coming into heat like clockwork. Everything else is settled and bred. We will put her on grain and beef her in October.

Our little garden patch. Corn did well and lots of potatoes. Onions were spotty but we have squash coming out our ears.

The clouds were laying on the mountain tonight. Lots of moisture around and feels like fall. Feel blessed and greatful for the rain. Hope those of you that need some moisture get plenty soon enough! :D

Our sign telling the world who were are. Our outfit isnt big, but its ours. We love this land and this life. We are thankful for friends like RA who made our sign. And a lot of the rest of you fine folks we have met here. I am honored to carry on the tradition and heritage passed down to me from our folks and ancestors. May we all have a safe and productive end of summer and fall. The desert is a damp and happy place tonight. Have a fine, fine evening!

Congrats on the Rain! You guys certainly needed something in Utah.

Are you in NW Utah? I spent some time on Eric Bedke's place and the landscape looked somewhat similar.

PPRM said:
Congrats on the Rain! You guys certainly needed something in Utah.

Are you in NW Utah? I spent some time on Eric Bedke's place and the landscape looked somewhat similar.

Central utah on the edge of the west desert. Tooele county but only 20 miles from Juab county line.

I haven't been much south of Spanish Fork. The pictures I've seen make me want to go see the Utah Desert though!

All you need now is some hay land and RA to custom harvest it for you.:D

Glad for you folks and the moisture. We had a soaker here Thursday night. Mixed blessing with hay on the ground but we're getting baled now. About 300 acres left to cut, we just could be done before Oct. but not holding our breath. :D

Isn't the smell of that rain on that sagebrush just about the best smell on earth? Nice calves. Fun to pick the next generation of mother cows. I don't believe I live to far from you folks been getting a lot of this moisture as well.

Ho55 said:
Isn't the smell of that rain on that sagebrush just about the best smell on earth? Nice calves. Fun to pick the next generation of mother cows. I don't believe I live to far from you folks been getting a lot of this moisture as well.

I sent ya a PM Ho55

Good to see you are getting moisture! Also, congrats on finding more pasture, your cows look like they are in heaven :D . I like your heifer choices, they should make really nice cows.

Sure glad you got a rain, maybe it will be our turn soon. Things look good, like your new sign!

Great pictures! Glad you got some rain and have a new place for your herd. I really like the heifers you are keeping. I'm anxious to see your next bull and that should be fun bull shopping. I really like horses like what you just got...pretty sucker. Not sure about hanging up firewood with scribbles on it though... :D .

gcreekrch said:
All you need now is some hay land and RA to custom harvest it for you.:D

I suppose I could pull out my Sunday hay rig if 'H needed some custom work done... :D

So happy for you and yours and all your neighbors for that great rain.
Of course we all know it rains after a drought! :p

Very much enjoyed reading your words:

"As we headed home tonight it was still coming down up on the mountain. WHAT A GODSEND!!! Very Happy Nothing like rain to refresh the soul, to brighten your hope, to wash the rust off of your smile. Thank you Lord. Thank you so very much!!!"

You nailed it!

Thanks for the pictures. Like the looks of your cattle and your new horse
has some very good points. Like good legs and withers. Seems we are losing those good withers on the newer generation of horses. Hope he is as good to you as you will be to him!

Thanks for sharing all the good news!

Thanks for the pictures, we have been thru your town. Glad you got some rain. we could use some now.

I always enjoy your photos H. I'm sure glad your country is getting moisture and congrats on your new grass lease.

We've finally received some rain here but it's been hit or miss. One pasture has been hit every time and the gramma grass is the best I've ever seen and other pastures are just starting to green up.

We are moving cows this weekend, I'll try and remember the camera.

Latest posts