• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pictures - May 1st - 15th

Help Support Ranchers.net:

North Ridge Ranching

Reaction score
MayPictures014.jpg

The brand new chariot.

MayPictures015.jpg

My trusty stead.

MayPictures016.jpg

Like mother, like daughter.

MayPictures018.jpg

A little splash of white. Cute little thing. White foot and tip of tail.

MayPictures020.jpg

We processed all the cows and calves on the 14th. My daughter brought her skipping rope that her and her brother use for a lariat at home with strict instructions. I need to rope a calf and sit on it Dad.

MayPictures021.jpg

My help for the day, or am I his help. Either way, refilling time.

I got the idea for the trays from you Soap, They work great.

great pic's North Ridge, I too picked up on Soap's use of the tray's, and yes they do work great. also use one for electric fencing tools and supplies, fits well in the basket on my quad.

That calf in the second picture could pass for a holstein with that white switch :D

Great bunch of pictures. That lil' gal has it figured out when it comes to roping! :D Kids are wonderful and sure entertaining! :lol: :lol: :lol: You will like that Wilson trailer. It's so shiny it kinda hurts my eyes though! :shock: :D

What is the JD implement sitting behind the steed?

Nice pictures.

Bootheel

Are pull type combines still used there? If so why? I have not seen one used around here in about 50 years - - - with good used self propelled combines under $10,000.00 I can not see an advantage to pull type.

With the way things are going I can see pull type hay balers going away!

Not trying to pick on anyone just trying to figure how things work in other places.

Quite a bit of crop is swathed so all the pull type has to do is Pick it up.

Back in the day many had diesel tractors and they were still putting gasoline engines of similar sized SP combines.

We never swath and keep the tractors busy with tillage and auger carts during harvest so we would have to go self propelled or get more tractors.

We run a 9500 JD and a 9550 JD and put the 8560 JDon a 1,000 bu cart to keep the semis full and put a v ripper on the 9170 Case

Most of the time we can still only run 1 combine in corn as with 3 semis that is all we can get hauled anyway. In beans we run both machines with 25' heads so the trucks can keep up fairly well.

While in school it was drilled into me to have equipment that can handle any chore in 10 working days as many times that is all you will get. With 2.300 acres we fall right in that bracket.

You have got to have the man power also. I'm a one man operation 95% of the time.No sense owning to much iron if it just sits idle.

George, I can't argue with you. Hardly nobody uses a pull type around here either. Just a couple real small operators like us. We only use one, the other was bought when I was just a little guy, we only use it for parts. We have went up to 3 years without using it, so we have never bought a bigger self propelled. We just don't crop hardly anything anymore. I think our biggest year in the last 10 would be 240 acres. And with that being said, we have been looking at a self propelled, just haven't found the right one for the right price yet.

The old Allis self propelled were a grass seed farmers dream, back in the old days. They were good for Redtop and other small seeds. Redtop is probably the most worrisome thing to thrash I know of. It will run out of every hole and crevice, a duct tape engineer's dream.

Thanks for clearing up the mystery North Ridge

Bootheel

George said:
We never swath and keep the tractors busy with tillage and auger carts during harvest so we would have to go self propelled or get more tractors.

We run a 9500 JD and a 9550 JD and put the 8560 JDon a 1,000 bu cart to keep the semis full and put a v ripper on the 9170 Case

Most of the time we can still only run 1 combine in corn as with 3 semis that is all we can get hauled anyway. In beans we run both machines with 25' heads so the trucks can keep up fairly well.

While in school it was drilled into me to have equipment that can handle any chore in 10 working days as many times that is all you will get. With 2.300 acres we fall right in that bracket.

I've seen a guy with a pull type combine and a 2 ton truck combine all day into the truck and never have to empty it. :shock:

We found the 9550 JD ( acording to the serial # it is a 1995 model machine - - - our new machine ) about 3 years ago for $30,000.00 and we put another $10,000.00 in it plus our labor - - - no problems so far.

We then sold the 1978 7720 JD for $7,500.00 and the man who purchased it has put about 1,000 acres a year thru it with no problems.

We keep 3X5 cards in the cab of everything and put down anything we notice so we will not forget it when we get back to the shop, go thru all equipment in June and July or Feb and March ( our slow times ) and try to find anything that is not 100%

Would be hard to justify much money for 240 acres - - - Is custom available? We put about 2,300 acres of our own thru each year and then help friends to the tune of about another 1,000 acres custom

Latest posts