• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pictures of feeding with our teams

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Wyoming Wind

Reaction score
So I took some pictures yesterday of feeding with our teams of belgian work horses. Our warmer weather melted our road off earlier than we wanted...makes for hard pulling when we come back from the stackyards with our hay. We are going to fire up the Cat tomorrow and make some new tracks thru a different meadow to avoid the melted off road.
Feeding_and_moving_heifers_004.jpg

Unhooking the team...ma in law deals with the lead team and pa in law works to unhitch the wheelers. Hooking up and unhooking up is always the most dangerous part of working horses. We love our gentle giants we have now...!
Feeding_and_moving_heifers_008.jpg

Feeding_and_moving_heifers_009.jpg

Here a some pictures from last winter...we never got around to roaching our horses manes and pulling their tails this winter. You can see in the next pictures how it really cleans them up when we "groom" them.
Loading hay

Hauling hay to the cows

You can see our "choppers" we built to cut the twine and chuck flakes off the sled.

Yesterday we moved our recently scourguarded heifers home where my in laws will calve them out starting in early April. Check out the snowbanks along the road still. My ma in law on my beloved mare Jill. :)
Feeding_and_moving_heifers_013.jpg

My ma in law, husband, and pa in law driving the girls up the driveway.
Feeding_and_moving_heifers_015.jpg

I will hopefully get down to feed when we will be breaking a colt to lead via tying to the back of the haysled and get some pictures then! :D

Can't believe you have been holding out on us! :shock: While i love the pictures of the team and feeding the cows, i about fell off my chair drooling over the shed horns on the barn!!!!!!!!!! :D If ya ever need any help looking for them i am almost your neighbor as i only live a tiny bit west of ya! :wink: SWEET pictures!

That is a different world than I live in, not better or worse, just different. And really good pictures. Thanks

That sure is a good lookin team, thanks for takin the time to post the pictures.
good luck

Awsome pictures. Love the manual work and square bales. Helps keep the cows nice and quite. We have had the nicest winter ever this year but with the little snow we had gone already, we could of used a little more of yours to fill some water holes.

Beautiful pictures but what got my attention is the stunningly clear resolution. Don't know if I've ever seen such sharp pictures where one could count the stems of hay in a bale or hairs in a horse's mane. Good shooting!

Wow! You never see 4 up around here. I know they put together some big hitches on the Amish farms, but ya never get to see them. Nice pics.

Wow, what great photos! I love those horses. The guys down here would faint if someone showed up with an animal like that. Amazing.

Amazing too to think there's that much snow on the ground still.

leanin' H said:
Can't believe you have been holding out on us! :shock: While i love the pictures of the team and feeding the cows, i about fell off my chair drooling over the shed horns on the barn!!!!!!!!!! :D If ya ever need any help looking for them i am almost your neighbor as i only live a tiny bit west of ya! :wink: SWEET pictures!
Ha! When it melts out i'll take a pic for you of our horn piles :D ! We get pretty lucky finding the horns---and having a forest allotment halfway between two elk winter feedgrounds doesn't hurt either! 8) If you ever want to help us chase cows in the timber, come on up! How far from SLC are you?

MO_cows said:
Wow! You never see 4 up around here. I know they put together some big hitches on the Amish farms, but ya never get to see them. Nice pics.
Thanks! Our older team (they were 2yrs old when we got them) are Amish bred. Their sire came directly from them, wish we could have gotten a few more bred that way but the breeder needed different blood. The younger ones we got have more fire though which has made for some real nice lead teams. :D

I really enjoyed the pictures. And I like manes/tails on the horses--helps with flies in the summer... :D . Very picturesque there, as I figured it was,
even in winter. You don't get much wind, do you?

What kind of dog do you have? We had a yellow dog that looked
similar to that one (as much as I could see anyway) so I wondered
what it might be. Ours was the best dog we ever had. She got old
and I still miss her.

Faster horses said:
I really enjoyed the pictures. And I like manes/tails on the horses--helps with flies in the summer... :D . Very picturesque there, as I figured it was,

and I still miss her.
Yeah, not much wind to speak of :D Our yellow dog, Tator, is basically a mutt. We don't know for sure what he is but we know he does have some Black Mouthed Curr and some other mixes of cow dog. He is a year and a half old and is proving to be a great heeler. He's very sneaky behind the cows and never barks. A quiet worker and ridiculously loyal! We have a nephew of his too and he is a dark brindle color. I'd love to do a DNA test of them to find out what they consist of! Tator has real course hair down the top of his back too. Did your dog?

Wyoming Wind said:
Faster horses said:

and I still miss her.
Yeah, not much wind to speak of :D Our yellow dog, Tator, is basically a mutt. We don't know for sure what he is but we know he does have some Black Mouthed Curr and some other mixes of cow dog. He is a year and a half old and is proving to be a great heeler. He's very sneaky behind the cows and never barks. A quiet worker and ridiculously loyal! We have a nephew of his too and he is a dark brindle color. I'd love to do a DNA test of them to find out what they consist of! Tator has real course hair down the top of his back too. Did your dog?

Yes she did. And when she was upset, it stood up kind of like one
of those--shoot, can't think of the name, right this moment-- :? --
I always thought ours had some black mouth cur too. And she
NEVER in all the years we had her, never ever barked at a cow. She
was double tough and really guarded everything. She was a bit too
possessive, because she nipped some folks. :( She had a natural
bob tail and we got her from the Bierrers family when they were
on the Snowcrest Ranch south of Twin Bridges, Mt. They raised these
dogs for 35 years at that time. We got her in 1988 when the fires
were so bad in Montana. The Snowcrest Ranch is one of those that
Ted Turner bought. The Birrers Dogs were pretty famous around SW
Montana for being great cattle dogs. She sure was the best one