• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pie and Coffee

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Here I think you Canadians on this site are scattered all over the map, and you all talk about going to the same bull sales, and dining at the same greasy spoon. :wink: Seems to me that would kinda like me asking Haymaker or Lilly up to have a cup. What, do you have 3 eating places and 4 bull outlets in the whole country? lol.

That leads me to ask which one of you is the furthest north on this site, and that includes all the "lurkers" out there. does the sun come up about 11 and go down about 12:30 in the afternoon this time of the year. I know our days aren't real long in Dec. here in "sunny" SD. I was always under the impression that NR was way up there, but by the way he gets around, he must be just north of Oldtimer. :lol:

By the way, I'm tired of the cold. If you have any inflence up there, could you change the weather pattern that keeps drifting down our way.

By the way, I'm tired of the cold. If you have any inflence up there, could you change the weather pattern that keeps drifting down our way.

I put in a word for you "southerners", the guy in charge asked that you stop sending smog and acid rain this way first! Actually don't a lot of the jetstreams start in Alaska?

NR is the most far North that I know of. We do like to travel up here!

I'm not sure where NR is at, but I'm bettin farther 'up' than me. We're about 300 miles north of Calgary, and East towards the Saskatchewan border. And no there are not only 3 greasy spoons in the whole country...there's 5. :wink: We never saw the sense in makin too many restaurants up here b/c who the heck wants to shovel the snow away from the front of the igloo every time you feel like takeout? Not only that, when there's only 3-4 hours of daylight, it's hardly worth the work of riggin' up lights on the dogs' harness'. :p

Pure Country,
You might not have a good coffee shop nearby but just wanted to say
you have a really great quotation on your postings.

At the risk of swaying away from my topic, I remembered a story I liked real well and thought I would pass it on. In Sherm Ewing's good book "The Range", he told a story about some Saskatechewan's(gosh I hope I didn't butcher that too badly) that were trailing cattle quite a distance in the wintertime. There were two brothers and their hired cowboy on the trip as I recall. They had a very rough storm all night, and first thing in the AM as was their custom, one of them started the fire and coffee along with a bite to eat. It seems this particular morning that it was the hired cowboy's turn to get things going. One of the men says "Chay get up and get the Dough God's started". Chay was cold and disgrunted with the thought of it, and here he was probably a hundred horseback miles from anywhere, but he says, "no way, I quit". :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

I think the ranch they were heading to or from was called the Whitemud ranch. Some of you may know of it.

I checked my book and the ranchers name was Gilchrist.

Yeah this southerner really wants the cold to stay up there geeshhhhhhh we had freezing rain and the roads were eekkkkkkk icy . Can yall believe that icy patches dang had to call in late.

I better hush or we are going to get some real snow LOL

Hey TRJ; you didn't butcher our beloved frozen homeland's name too bad, just kinda like saying South Dakotota :roll: :lol: :lol: It kinda adds a real mouthful to an awkward name........you'd think the Indians might have used English instead of their own tonguetwisters to name the features of North America :lol: :lol:

the real jake said:
At the risk of swaying away from my topic, I remembered a story I liked real well and thought I would pass it on. In Sherm Ewing's good book "The Range", he told a story about some Saskatechewan's(gosh I hope I didn't butcher that too badly) that were trailing cattle quite a distance in the wintertime. There were two brothers and their hired cowboy on the trip as I recall. They had a very rough storm all night, and first thing in the AM as was their custom, one of them started the fire and coffee along with a bite to eat. It seems this particular morning that it was the hired cowboy's turn to get things going. One of the men says "Chay get up and get the Dough God's started". Chay was cold and disgrunted with the thought of it, and here he was probably a hundred horseback miles from anywhere, but he says, "no way, I quit". :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

I think the ranch they were heading to or from was called the Whitemud ranch. Some of you may know of it.

I checked my book and the ranchers name was Gilchrist

They would be our neighbors and the Ranch is still owned by the Gilchrist family. My mares winter in a field which has a coulee that fingers out of the Whitemund Valley. My sister and her husband live right below the clay pits (hense the name Whitemud).

I'd promise to post some pictures but I am already behind getting the trophy heads and the HHH saddle posted ..... :oops: If it stays this cold I just might get it done!

Bull riding is just set to start ..... -30 C right now

PURE...theres 6 now they opened that new coffee shop in Edmonton,but your right about whos driving that far on those old dog teams???

cowsense said:
Hey TRJ; you didn't butcher our beloved frozen homeland's name too bad, just kinda like saying South Dakotota :roll: :lol: :lol: It kinda adds a real mouthful to an awkward name........you'd think the Indians might have used English instead of their own tonguetwisters to name the features of North America :lol: :lol:

A young canadian was in a U S hospital and an older nurse gave him a bath,when she came back to the nurses station she said"that young man has Swan tattoed on his"you know what!".The next morning it was a good looking young nurse that took care of him.When she returned she told the older nurse,"that tatto didn't say Swan it said Saskatchewan! :D :D

A good friend of the family, Cliff 'Gramps' Emery used to say that once in awhile he'd wake up and the li'l soldier'd be up waitin' for him. Said mother'd roll over and ask what he planned on doin' with it. He said, "Well, I think I'll hurry up and wash it while the wrinkles are out of it."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

They would be our neighbors and the Ranch is still owned by the Gilchrist family. My mares winter in a field which has a coulee that fingers out of the Whitemund Valley. My sister and her husband live right below the clay pits (hense the name Whitemud).

I'd promise to post some pictures but I am already behind getting the trophy heads and the HHH saddle posted ..... If it stays this cold I just might get it done!

Bull riding is just set to start ..... -30 C right now

SSAP, It is interesting that they are still ranching there. Is it still a hereford outfit, as I seem to remember? There were some interesting stories about them in that book. Have you read it? Sherm Ewing kept dual citizenship in the US and Canada for a time, but don't you have to give up your social security, and the like, in the US if you don't reside here after a time?

We dropped like a rock to -15F here tonite, but this is supposed to be the end of it for a while. Today was 0 and calm, and felt about like a heat wave after yesterday.

Latest posts