• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pine needles

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
We are de-pine one of our winter pastures lot of little trees and two big ones (that make fire wood) . Just a question are dead brown needles still a problem???

Search pine needle toxicity, Jody. Most people I know don't chance it. Beef magazine article suggests management tips, if you don't have a choice.

If I remember correctly, jody, it's only Ponderosa Pines that present the problem.
I've always thought that if cattle were well-fed, have plenty of free-choice mineral, they won't start eating pine needles.
Once they start, though, it's like they are addicted.

I think it is actually the old dead brown pine needles that they eat, which causes the pine needle abortion. I need to ask some of my neighbors, who are more familiar with the problem.

According to what I found, both the dry needles and green needles are a problem.

Here's something that talks about it:
https://www.ars.usda.gov/pacific-west-area/logan-ut/poisonous-plant-research/docs/ponderosa-pine-pinus-ponderosa/

Then I found this written by Brenda Johnson, who used to post here:
https://www.beefmagazine.com/mag/beef_needle_nightmare

Hope this helps. I know if they start aborting from pine needles, it's a mess because they calve prematurely and don't clean.

this pasture only has only 2 big trees , that we saw down and block up for fire wood. there around 50 smaller trees we just cutting and piling in a deep pit we dug. We try and rake up the brown needles under the tow bigger trees or bun them when things get wet. probably spread some dirt over them from the pit... Next pasture we get a permanent fence around a few acres of pines and pull the hot wire. got three more pastures with no pines 2 way back and need water development for winter and all 3 would need some wind breaks.

gcreekrch said:
Brown needles on the snow can sure get cows calving.
that why the whole trees is coming down , there some places here trim branches high enough a cow can't reach them , but they don't have any pine free pastures

In doubt, I always got either chose pastures without pine trees, or chopped them down and got rid of the needles before bringing the livestock in. Glad to hear more about why and how they're dangerous for our cows.

With my sons, we usually blow the needles away with a leaf blower, but when the coverage is too deep, we just till the incriminated zone and let grass grow on it before bringing in the livestock, it's radical but man, does it work.

Latest posts