• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pinkeye Question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

I was wondering if anyone else has done this or heard of it- The other day in a discussion, I'd brought up that I needed to watch and maybe doctor a calf with a runny eye (that had probably got irritated by foxtail)...One of the fellows there who ranchs and runs his own cows and rides pens for a feedlot in the winter said that they used to put Pen under the eyelid and then patch for eye irritations and pinkeye, but now only give them a shot of long acting Pen and spray the eye with a film of WD-40...Said it works like a charm and one treatment cures them up.....Lot easier than messing with the patch's and the gunky glue...

Oldtimer,

I have heard of Condensed milk and WD-40, nver used either. Big thing I see is closing the eye to the sunlight. I prefer to sew the lids shut with some sutures that disolve in a week or so. I also give the upper and lower eyelid shot and LA,

PPRM

We give a shot of LA, and put a mastitis medication called Formula-5000 (Upjohn) directly in the eye. This is a penicillin/anti-inflammatory medicine. Eyelid shots work well too, but they're fussy to give.

If it looks like we've got an outbreak starting up, we vaccinate. This works really well, and the vaccine itself will help them get over it. I'm not sure why it does, because that's not how vaccine normally works. We've had calves that only got vaccine, and they got over it, with their eyes looking pretty good after.

We've got a neighbour who makes patches out of old blue jeans, and sticks them on with back tag ink. He just lets them fall off on their own.

PPRM said:
Oldtimer,

I have heard of Condensed milk and

PPRM

Even Vet's say I'm nuts but
I worked for a Feed Lot in the 50's - Every carload/perHead that came on the place got 5cc of Pet Milk "Sub Q" - in 4 years I never saw a case of Pink-eye there.

FFA School had 2 cases of P-E - - - Ag Teacher thought I was NUTS - I Gave everything Pet Milk and stopped it.

Flooded pet milk in the eyes and + patches on the 2 also

An old rancher up here always claimed that 40cc of carnation condensed milk injected 10cc at 4 sites would clear up any pinkeye..

never tried it ...but who knows :?:

OldDog/NewTricks said:
PPRM said:
Oldtimer,

I have heard of Condensed milk and

PPRM

Even Vet's say I'm nuts but
I worked for a Feed Lot in the 50's - Every carload/perHead that came on the place got 5cc of Pet Milk "Sub Q" - in 4 years I never saw a case of Pink-eye there.

FFA School had 2 cases of P-E - - - Ag Teacher thought I was NUTS - I Gave everything Pet Milk and stopped it.

Flooded pet milk in the eyes and + patches on the 2 also

Just to clarify a bit Old Dog New tricks, are you saying that in the FFA cases of Peye that you gave 5cc Pet Milk "Sub Q" and it cured those calves of the Peye?

Latest posts