• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pioneer 4-H Club Valentine's Box Suppers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Turkey Track Bar

Reaction score
I don't know why, but while traveling for work this week, I got to thinking about some days gone past. One of the things I reminisced about in my mind was the "Box Suppers" our 4-H Club hosted as a fund raiser. These always had Valentine's Day theme, and were held the second Saturday of February at the Grange Hall where our 4-H Club met, in our little community.

The 4-H Box Supper was always a big deal in our community. Ladies and girls made a meal, and put it in a decorated box and each anonymous box was auctioned off. After the auction, the box bringer and box buyer had a "date" for supper.

Some were bought because the prettiness of the box, some were bought because of the "hope" that whoever brought the box were good cooks, others were bought because the wife threatened Dad, or because some shy boy liked some girl, or some teenage boy, who a little eight year old girl adored, wanted to make her feel good.

No matter why a box was bought, the Pioneer 4-H Club Box Supper was big deal in our little community. It was put on to be a social event as much as a fund raiser for our 4-H Club, as all proceeds went to the Club for our community service projects. A dance was usually held following the event.

A common meal was fried chicken, a salad or mashed spuds, and a dessert. My Dad HATES chicken. He always tried his best to get my Mom's box bought; not only because that is what Husbands did, and because my Mom is a great cook, (and is known as such in our community,) but because it was assured there would not be any fried chicken in her box. Only once do I remember my Dad not getting Mom's box bought (I think her box brought well over $100.) It was lucky for Dad that the 4-H Club had a roast beef dinner that could be bought by those who didn't get a box of their own.

My boxes usually contained something Mexican; often burritos. I couldn't even begin to tell you who bought my boxes most years, but do remember when I was nine or so, the teenage boy who helped me with my livestock project (and who I adored) bought my box and made my life! I also remember one of our neighbors buying my box instead of his wife's because he got mixed up on which one was hers!

Those were fun times. I wonder if the 4-H Club still has box suppers? Did you have Box Suppers in your community?

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! I hope you buy your sweeties box!

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

Those were the good old days. I had forgotten about that, TTB.
Good for you and your community. 'H, for keeping that tradition
alive. Some things you just can't buy.

Reminds me of the dances at the country halls. Everyone went and took thier kids. Sometimes there was a pot luck supper at midnight. The
little kids were all asleep on the chairs by then, covered up with someone's coat in the winter time. Such great community times.
I wonder when they stopped? It was a great loss, that's for sure.

When I was a kid, I remember dad and mom driving home after the dance (30 miles or so) and it would be cold out, but very moonlight. I would look at the hills with snow on them in the moonlight and thought it was magic being able to see the hills that far away at night.
I can still see them in my minds eye and feel the vibration of the car.
I guess it really was a magic time.

Ya know TTB,
We had these, too, when I was growing up! :) But it was at Halloween, and only the kids were involved, no adult baskets. But the "hot" items that went for more than $5 were the high school ones! Probably more romance at that age, plus they had more money! Heck, those High Schoolers had jobs all summer long! :lol:
I didn't like to pay more than $2-$3 for my basket! It was always a fun social time for the whole community! 8) Probably never again! :(

Latest posts