• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Playing with cows

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
I'm supposed to be doing paperwork, but like when I was a kid, I have a hard time being inside.
Yesterday, I had Flyin S come over, and we doctored a couple cows and calves. Fighting Pink Eye, and foot rot.

Looking for the blind cow.

Flyin S has her caught.

The trap is set.

Frog stretching her out.

A view from Lisa's angle. The colt she was riding has a total of 19 rides. He even ground ties, sorta.

Flyin S trying to get a front leg in his slack, so the cow tips over.

60ccs of Nuflor Gold seems to work on the eyes on the cows.

Frog doing his job. Not sure why the rope always ends up on that side of his neck.

Moon doing her job.

Lisa thought she better do something other then just take pictures.

The pictures aren't in quite the order I had planned, but I think I got the story to go with the pictures. I still don't like the new Photobucket!!

Looking good on both the cowboying and the photography. :D Hope the troubles clear up for ya. Pink eye and footrot can sure be a pain. We have been free of those two (KNOCK ON WOOD) for 6 or 8 years now. Once we quit leasing a bunch of meadows that didnt have any high ground where a cow could get her feet dry, we havent had to deal with foot issues. Do get the occasional lame critter from the rocks though.

Frog's real name is I Oughta Have Principles.

He is probably the funnest horse I have ever ridden. He was started at the U of Nebrasky. I seriously doubt he had ever been outside of an arena, when I started riding him. I ended up with him because my sis-in-law bought him, then he scared her. He CAN BUCK, and no I have not stayed on him everytime. I have come off of him twice. The first time, I never knew he was bucking, until I tried to get off the ground, the last time, it was easier to eject, and start all over.
I can doctor cows with him all day, then turn him over to my grandson Kyle, how has never ridden, and Kyle gets along with him just fine. Quite the horse, and I thought I might sell him this spring. :twisted: :twisted:

flyingS said:
May as well be Out Of Texas by Midnight. No matter what she gave for him looks to me like he was a steal.. Pretty nice package, he rides and has some looks to boot.

For sure. We used to say "out of Texas by Truck." :D It's just fun to see what their bloodlines might be. Heck, we've had lots of geldings that didn't even have papers. I'm always curious as to how a horse I like the looks of
might be bred.

How about your black mare? Care to discuss her? She looks like she did her job very well.

She is out of South Dakota by Trailer. :lol: Her mother was a grade Okie Leo bred mare and her sire was a stud called Top Amigo King. http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/top+amigo+king. She is pretty common to look at and isn't very big, but may be one of the toughest most useable horses I've ever riden. She actually belongs to my wife.
If she had the conformation of Lisa's colt and the size of WP's Frog horse, I would breed her. That colt of Lisa's is pretty fancy and may get some size to him yet, he has lot's of potential. Lisa may actually know how he is bred, I'm pretty sure he could have been papered had the people that she bought him from got it done. He sure does ride nice and has a quite disposition.

flyingS said:
She is out of South Dakota by Trailer. :lol: Her mother was a grade Okie Leo bred mare and her sire was a stud called Top Amigo King. http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/top+amigo+king. She is pretty common to look at and isn't very big, but may be one of the toughest most useable horses I've ever riden. She actually belongs to my wife.
If she had the conformation of Lisa's colt and the size of WP's Frog horse, I would breed her. That colt of Lisa's is pretty fancy and may get some size to him yet, he has lot's of potential. Lisa may actually know how he is bred, I'm pretty sure he could have been papered had the people that she bought him from got it done. He sure does ride nice and has a quite disposition.

And she doesn't like Flyin S!! We were a mile into hunting cows, before he gave her her head. :p I have seen his wife, and 6 year old daughter ride Moon, and she has never offered to buck. Both times he has come help doctor cows, Flyin S rides like a little kid. One hand on the horn, and the other pulling on the rein. :shock: I woulda too.... I'll bet a person coulda slid a six pack of Pepsi under her saddle.

All I can tell you about my colt is he is double Poco bred on the bottom side. I can't even tell you which line of Pocos now.. His sire is a stout good looking palomino horse. The only thing I know about the mare (the guy couldn't find her papers) is she was bred for barrels... Either way he's been a hoot to ride so far.

Gettin' it done out on the range! Great pictures and great work! Thanks for sharing!

I know that a horse named "Frog" sends red flags up to an old man that don't heal quick anymore. I'd be afraid that the name might describe the way he travels sometimes. :wink: They are nice mounts, and good pictures of ranch life.

I got to thinkin about that nag Lisa is riding. I am pretty sure that Soapweed has posted pictures of the stud, and maybe even of this colt.

Latest posts