• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Plumbing question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

DejaVu

Reaction score
We are in the process of installing several giant rubber water tanks. Generally the center is filled with cement and the water is turned on. The guy selling these tire tanks has found a company making a big hard plastic 'plug' for these tanks. The selling point is, if you ever want or need to move the tank it's possible because you don't have all that cement in the middle. These plugs look like a pie pan turned upside down. We have put a 2" plastic pipe drain in the middle of the first plug and can't get it to seal. When the tank is filled the weight of the water pushes the plug downward and breaks our silicone seal causing the drain pipe to leak. These tanks hold 1800 gallons of water. Do any of you have any ideas on what we're doing wrong or what we can do to compensate for the weight of the water? Thanks.

Place your drain pipe in a concrete/cement mix below ground level so it doesn't move. Be sure and make your hole in the plug real clean and smooth to fit the pipe good. Use some Gorilla Glue as your caulking.

Are you using an elbow in the pipe beneath the tank plug?

Yes, we have an elbow but it's in the ground probably 18". The riser pipe extends upward through a hole cut in the plug. We trenched the drain channel, and put in 2" PVC pipe. We have discussed placing a weight on the plug to replicate the water pushing down, gluing the drain pipe at that level and turning on the windmill. When the water covers the plug, we'd remove the weight.

Could you put a larger diameter stand pipe in that would stick up higher than the water level, seal it to your plug, then run your 2" up through it?

I'm guessing your plastic pie pan isn't flat. If it were flat and resting on a flat base, you wouldn't get the movement. So, your weight idea would likely push the plastic down to rest on the base.

We always use bentonite in concrete to make it hold water.

Nicky, we're guinea pigs on this deal. These plugs are new and the guy selling them threw them in with the tanks. He said to figure it out and let him know what we did to make them work. This morning, we weighted the plug down equal to the weight of the water, put a collar on the plastic pipe as a 'stop' and resealed the drain pipe. 24 hour cure time on the sealer. Using a Loctite marine sealer rated for continuous underwater exposure. We have 4 tanks to place. Three have floats so no drain will be necessary. Finished one today that's on a float and it looks good.
Brad, you're correct, these plugs are not flat. They are graduated in height.
That's the report-so far.

Bentonite is the best remedy I know of. Have seen tire tanks sealed with concrete and bentonite, steel discs and bentonite, and just plain bentonite. Silicone used with the steel discs.

Did your method work?

To me, it looks like the top of the plug needs to be supported from underneath at the seal. My suggestion is to put some dish soap on the 2" pvc, place a 2" no hub fernco on the pipe and slide it down to about where you need it. Then set the plug ontop to get it exactly where it needs to be. Pull the plug back off (hope it's not heavy), crank down on the clamps on the coupler, throw some sealer on it, put plug back on and seal it again from the top. If the 2" doesn't seam strong enough to support it, support the bottom with a piece of 4" pvc and run the 2" inside it and through the plug. 4" does not extend through the plug.

Keep us posted, if they work it would sure make putting the troughs in alot easier. We did two in Dec 2014, and the spring went dry last year and hasn't come back (of course we are still in a drought). Thinking of moving them but we used concrete...

Tire tank update:

So far there has been no success in getting the manufactured plugs to seal. We have buffed the tire rim and plug rim with a wire brush on a right angle grinder, wiped both down with acetone. We are using Loctite PL Marine fast curing adhesive and sealant. Running two beads around the inside of the tire rim, placing the plug and screwing it to the rim with 2" self-tapping sheet metal screws. Then we are coming around the outside of the plug with another bead of sealant. Yesterday, we took the plug off the tire with the drain and filled it with cement. Today, it doesn't leak.

My last resort on the two remaining tire tanks with plugs is a bucket of tar. I'm going to tar the edge where the plug and tire meet. If there is a leak these last two plugs will be torn off and the tires filled with cement too. I can only stand so much grief and expense.

Initially, we used an adhesive sealer called "Through the Roof". It failed. Then, we used the Loctite Marine adhesive sealer. It failed. This morning, while slopping tar on the plug and everybody growling at each other, I called the company for :help: They told me guys are using Ram-Nek tape to seal these plugs, then putting 2" deck screws through the plug into the tire bead to hold the plug in place. :drink:
There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. Will Rogers
These plugs have been my 'electric fence' moment! :wink:

Latest posts