• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pocket Gophers... what to do?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

those dirty rottin' little (insert bad word here)__________ers :mad: I trap them, and don't keep up with it like i should. but I still manage thin the population little by little. I'm sure there are poisons and all that type of stuff out there, but i like the traps. The only bad thing about setting and checking traps is that it is time consuming. at least with the traps, you know when you killed one. If you would like, i can post a pic of the traps i use.

Just a note. Rodenaters are highly effective but can light dry fields on fire and it is good to know where the gas lines are. About $2500 in Canada.

Gophers are an epidemic in our area, to the point where they are completly destroying pastures and crops. We have been dealing with this problem for 3-4 years now, and they are waaaay past the point where guns and traps do anything to control them. Our government reintroduced 2% strychnine for us last year, and it helped. We have also been using a product called rosenol (sp??) which is mixed with grain and fed in bait stations. I prefer to use it to the strychnine, although we used both last year.

A good trap
http://www.leestrapworks.com/

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewan/story/2007/07/09/gopher-hunt-070709.html

http://www.thespec.com/Wire/News_Wire/Agriculture/article/340575

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewan/story/2007/05/04/gophers.html?ref=rss

Mrs.Greg said:
gcreekrch said:
per said:
http://www.rodenator.com/pests-controls-videos-rodenators

Seen some videos on these before. Wonder how it would work on denned bears? 8)
{shaking head, yet giggling at the same time}

I'll bet it would wake them up-- and probably wake them a little P.O.ed...

That video always makes me think of Bill Murray and the movie "Caddyshack"... :lol:

anhydrous will get them,shove a hose down the hole and let them have it,it will suck the out and they sufficate

Oldtimer said:
Mrs.Greg said:
gcreekrch said:
Seen some videos on these before. Wonder how it would work on denned bears? 8)

:nod: Pe-od is right,Dave better have that girdle hiked up tight if hes gonna outrun a ticked Grizz :shock:

Just get a bunch of snow on the ground and watch the hawks have an all-day massacre. Worked for me today :wink: :lol:.

We run a gopher killer through the hayfields every spring. Its basically a single ripper with a hopper connected that drops poison bait in a furrow underground. The gopher tunnels along til he hits the furrow and follows it eating the bait. Works well if everybody does it. If your ground borders public land it isn't as effective. We trap the left overs. I cut my teeth as a youngster getting .50 a piece for gophers.

Mrs.Greg said:
Oldtimer said:
Mrs.Greg said:

:nod: Pe-od is right,Dave better have that girdle hiked up tight if hes gonna outrun a ticked Grizz :shock:

Blowing things up is always fun. Our gophers are none existent this year. I know a few people who have these units. They are very effective. Also there is a guy here with an anhydrous unit that also works well. If I some day get one of these things a winter trip to your place gcreek could be in the books to check out it's effectiveness on larger rodents.

They are all a pain...pocket gophers are different than ground squirrels, they don't come above ground to get shot at. A friend used the poison thing (that Leanin H mentioned) with strychnine (sp) and ended up killing his dog :? from eating the gophers and squirrels that died.

per said:
Mrs.Greg said:
Oldtimer said:

Blowing things up is always fun. Our gophers are none existent this year. I know a few people who have these units. They are very effective. Also there is a guy here with an anhydrous unit that also works well. If I some day get one of these things a winter trip to your place gcreek could be in the books to check out it's effectiveness on larger rodents.

Gentlemen.....we have a situation here........ :lol:

We use a gopher machine on our hay ground also. Its called Western Alfalfa it has that one shank ripper and a drum on the back with metal spikes to help it turn in the dirt. Best machine that we have used, we did have a Eaton gopher machine and it was a piece of junk. We use ROZOL with that machine and it works pretty good you just have to keep on them most of the summer and winter to keep them controlled.

I have used Anhydrous Ammonia on some prairie dogs one time but that a pretty dangerous thing to use. You stick that pipe in the ground and if it has some dirt in the end it will blow right out of the hole, then you got to go catch the thing swinging in the air like a wild snake :shock: . Now we use phos toxin it works great a little labor intensive but when you have those stupid things tearing up your ground its worth it. I would love to catch the stupid people that bring them out from Denver and drop them off out here :mad:

get yourself a good pellet gun (one of those 1250 fps jobbers) as they are cheaper to shoot than a .22
Give it to your neighbour kid and tell him you will supply all the pellets he can shoot.

I'm kinda like NR, if there's a less labour intensive way, I'll do it. We just try to make a point of hitting the areas where the gophers are real intense, with real intense hoof action right now at this time of year. They're starting to mate and party it up for spring time, so we'll hit 5 acre meadows with 200 head for 3 or 4 days, bale grazing on it.

We have 3 kinds of gophers, but the pocket gophers are the only ones that are a nusiance and they don't come out during the day. I;ve only seen one alive, that was about midnight, crossing my yard when i got home from fishing. Looked like a drunk overgrown mouse with long claws. I'm lucky enough to have a yellow lab who takes great pride in killing anything smaller than him and he's pretty much got them out of the yard. Used to have a real bad problem but not anymore.

If my dog had a trophy room, he'd have muskrat, possum, coon, pocket gopher, squirrel, pheasant, mouse, rabbit, cat, blackbird, largemouth bass (ok they were winter killed but he still brought them to the yard) and deer (fawn).

Latest posts