• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Poem and pictures

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

I am going to try something new here. This is a poem by Waddie Mitchell that I am putting with some of the pictures I have in the file. :wink:

Sage and Cedar

Out where the prairie's high and wide,
MoreauR.jpg

And where a man has room to ride,
It is there that I reside,
In Sage and Cedar.
Sageandherd.jpg

Way out here the fragrance rise,
On the breezes purified,
Idaho1.jpg

And it sure fills a man's insides,
Wth sage and cedar.
BigSpsageandcedar.jpg

One is wholly sanctified,
And his soul is fortified,
When he curls up fireside,
With sage and cedar.
SageandPeak.jpg

And when it's time,
And I have died,
I can rest here satisfied
Just bury me on mountainside,
Neath' sage and cedar
PRsunset.jpg

Very nice presentation...absolutely beautiful country. If that isn't God's country I don't know what is. Wide open spaces and grazing cattle...it just doesn't get any better than that.

I had an chance to attend a program where Waddie Mitchell spoke. I enjoyed it a lot. I'm sure folks in your country are able to see him more frequently but hearing him in Kansas was a rare opportunity.

Jake, I found those pictures fascinating!

Did you take them yourself? Woow! Awesome.

Waddy Mitchell is one of my favorites, if not THE favorite. I love the way he makes some of his stuff rhyme 'in the middle.' One of my very favorite poems he does is "The campfires gone out and the last longhorns gone."

I used to have a tape of some cowboy poetry that was done in Elko, I think. I cannot find it and it makes me sick that I can't. It was videoed, not just done in Elko. Had horses, cows and all that stuff. I sure do miss it. I probably loaned it to someone and they still have it. I know I don't...

Jake, you did a beautiful job there! Especially liked the dusty one with the cattle moving and the last sunset. Now if we could just figure out some way to smell that sage and cedar with the slides...

Did you take them yourself?

Of course I took the pictures myself FH. :lol: I thought you might recognize the last one as it is taken just west of you looking back to the NW across the Powder.

The mountain scene with the shadows is my favorite picture. It looks so soft. I think it was taken near Carey ID, but I would have to look at a map again to be sure.

Truly jersey, most sage does have high protein. I have been told that winterfat (sage) can have over 20% protein. Shadscale sage is also supposedly good too. We have big sage, and silver sage here. I don't think anything but sheep and antelope and deer use it too hard if there is available grass.

We have a HUGE antelope population that is in our sage here. And they use the rest of the range too. We have many hundred antelope that we feed for the state for nothing.

I'll second what jinglebob said - this is really cool!! But - you know me - never satisfied to just look, now would you mind explaining to me where they all were taken? And where is the old house in the 2nd pix from the bottom? Must be a story there?

Forgot to add that while reading your wonderful post, I smell cedar. Course it might be coming from those old cedar posts I chunked into the wood stove tonight when it started to cool off.

You are getting pretty good with that camera Jake I like those picture stories & poems yall are posting,getting ready for ole man winter?.........good luck

Thanks Haymaker. Hopefully old man winter will hold of a while yet around here, but we are closer to ready for it than we have been in some years past. Cows are all sorted and tested, calves weaned and located, and just a few projects left around here. Important ones anyway.
It has been very nice and warm here lately, up to 20 degrees warmer than normal. It's pretty dusty again, even after our big snow the first part of the month.

LB, the pictures with the rank sage, and cattle were taken in Nevada in june when I was on my way out to Idaho. I can't tell you much about the old camp, but I will let your imaginations fill in the blanks. I bet it would have a good story or two to tell if it could talk. Much like most old houses I bet.

Latest posts