• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Poem for Friday

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Saddletramp

Reaction score
Seems there's been quite alittle discussion on our horses so I thought I'd throw my rope at this one.

SAND

It's already hot this morning As I step out into the sand.
How many times have I stood here In this drama between horse and man.

In the middle of this old round pen My saddle and gear I've let drop.
With his head high and tail flagging The roan circles me at a trot.

Oh, he's proud and trying to ignore me. He's been too long on the range.
Thinking that he's the boss hoss. Well, all that's about to be changed.

We meant to start him as a 2 year old But we got busy shipping you know.
'Sides, it wouldn't hurt to let him develop some. So we turned him out to let him grow.

We got him back in the next spring But that wire cut looked pretty deep.
It took plenty of time to get that healed And all the while he wasn't earning no keep.

So it's about time he's made to be useful He's big and he's tall and he's strong.
And today is as good as any to get started But it's a chore that's been put off too long.

The wife says to let them young fellers have him "You've stepped up on too many, you old fool."
She's right, you know. Some of them kids is good hands. But I take pride in sharpening my own tools.

Tho lately my hips' been a bother, And my knees are both kinda stiff.
Tho my years and skills give me the edge My fingers just aren't quite so quick.

Oh, I think once I get my loop on him. I'm sure he's gonna be alright.
And if he does decide to act wolfy, Well, it won't be my first saddle fight.

What the heck's the big deal anyway I've started bunches just like him…still can
But the years seem to temper my feelin' forked As I stand out here in the sand.

But the Bible says "To have dominion over…." And I've always took God's word to heart.
And as I raise my hand and make my throw I wonder if the roan read that part.

By Marty Blocker
 2001

Damn!

You just never fail me ol' pard.

The greatest thing about it is that i know it and all that you write is true and not made up!

Gettin' to call you "friend" has been one of the high points of my life. And I mean that truely!

'Course you know I hate you, as I just hate anyone with talent! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Great poem, Saddletramp!!!!! I've noticed a little bit of the competitive attitude between all you poets! Don't worry, I put all of you in the A++ section!! I love ALL your poems!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jinglebob said:
Damn!

You just never fail me ol' pard.

The greatest thing about it is that i know it and all that you write is true and not made up!

Gettin' to call you "friend" has been one of the high points of my life. And I mean that truely!

'Course you know I hate you, as I just hate anyone with talent! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:

You talk like this and you make us ladies feel shame for kinda cussin'?? Are your true colors showing??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink: :wink:

Have a GREAT trip, give that grandbaby a BIG smack from us!!

only thing better than a great poem is a picture to go with it. Could not find a digital with the sand, but I got the dust. Wifey thought this a fitting poem, I need to start my two year old and she says I'm just stalling. I'm letting him grow up a little more.

dustygather.jpg

Thanks Shelly,
I have taken so much crap for having a "purse" with me even when we are out gathering, branding, doing whatever we are doing. Now these guys are almost to the point of POSING. If I don't have my purse, they go "No pictures today, what's wrong?" My purse now contains a very lethal weapon, sometimes two, digitals with very high telephotos so I can get them when they don't know it!! I have been told lately that I don't need to be wrestling calves when not roping, I should be taking candids of the crew. :wink: :wink: :D

Saddletramp, really liked your poem especially the last line!
You're an artist with words.

Love your pics, sw. The "dusty" one is one of my favorites!!!! Can't beat a picture like that. I hope you have something on those pics so someone can't steal them!! :cry: :D :D :D :D

Latest posts