• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Poem from Dad

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Wasn't sure I'd share this poem i wrote back in March as I kinda thought it was just for me. Felt like Dad just handed my two sheets of paper already written, as it came that easy to me. But I did it at a Gathering last weekend and had a bunch of folks say it spoke to them as well. So here it is. Hope it helps anyone who has lost somebody they love and maybe could use a boost.

Get Back On-
I was only a kid back in 74', and I barely fit into the boots I wore.

But up on my saddle I proudly sat, and I thought to myself, "I'm all that".

Cause when you are 6, with the world by it's tail, astride a cool pony, ya think ya can't fail.

I remember headin' toward our little herd of cattle, and i felt invincible, like knight, headed to battle.

Ol' Candy, my pony was just three feet tall. And that's a good thing, because I was ridin' for a fall!

The way I remember on that fateful day, my pony turned left and I went another way.

I crashed to the ground and let out a bawl. Convinced I was dying from my horrendous fall!

Mom and Dad scooped me up and brushed off the dirt. Wiped up the tears and made sure I weren't hurt.

And I'll never forget what they told me that day, when their six year old cowboy just wanted to walk away.

"A real cowboy always gets back on, when he gets thrown in the dirt and his courage is gone."

And though I was plumb scared and not sure how I'd do, I climbed back on my pony and tried to sit true.

I've come off plenty of horses in the years since that day, and I always got up thinking of what they had to say.

And sometimes limping, sometimes only hurt pride, I'd gather myself, mount, and finish the ride.

Until a month ago, when I crashed to earth hard. I watched my Dad die, and I lost my best friend and pard.

I did all that I could, to stand up and be strong. To support my sweet Mother, and help our family move on.

But when I was alone, with nobody around, i still felt like that 6 year old, laying on the ground.

I've cried and I've hurt, felt lost and alone. And I've prayed Dad would just be there, in His chair, at His home.

And the last little while, the hurt just seemed to grow. And it seemed like each day would bring me a new low.

Til today, I was thinking, about the hole that he left. And I started feeling that hurt, in my heart, in my chest.

Then that memory came, from back in 74', and I heard that familiar voice, that I miss, and adore.

"Get back on", so gentle and sweet. And I felt his hands lift me carefully, back to my feet.

I'm not the only person who deals with loss and pain. And I'll bet there are others who need help gettin' back on again.

We don't have to quit missing, and It's ok to cry. We'd be pretty heartless if our eyes always stayed dry.

But the one's that we cherish, and we miss here below, Still want us to be happy, and they want us to know,

That when your are down, with your face in the dirt. And tears streak your face, and your heart, just, hurts!

We have to get up, and we have to be brave, and remember that God, our souls He did Save!

We will see them again! Even though for now they are gone. But if we're gonna keep riding, well, first, we have to get back on.

I promised my Dad that I'd heed his advice. And I hope you will too, and if you fall once or twice,

Remember falling has always been a part of God's plan. But It's the getting back on, where you measure a man.

Until the day comes, when on Heaven's Sage Flat, my Dad and I ride again, I'll just pull down my hat,

And keep riding life's trail, whether sunset or dawn. Dad's words are still true, We all have to GET, BACK, ON.

Miss ya Dad- Always will love ya- See ya soon

H' March 2022

That is a good one. My Dad was 89 years and one week back in November of 2014.

I have a couple neighbors to pass that on to when the time is right.

Superb H! It is as good as any cowboy poem ever written or recited. I love it because you are true to the original style, meter, and blatant honesty that is real cowboy poetry. Your poem made me cry and at the same time made me smile. I can just imagine what effect it would have, hearing it recited by you.

It's been 25 years. Or was it just yesterday? The sting wont go away.
I hope it never does. Your dad was probably a fine man. And losing a wonderful person should sting. But just know you WILL see him again. And he ain't far away SJ. He sees and knows all about your life. And he loves ya. Hang in there pal

Latest posts