• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Poll: Have you registered your ranch premises yet?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Have you registered your ranch premises yet?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
American Angus Assn. partners with APHIS on animal id
Thursday, August 9, 2007, 9:22 AM

by Cyndi Young

USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) signed a cooperative agreement with the Angus Association yesterday to recognize the cooperative efforts of both groups in the education of the premises registration process and enrollments. At a ceremonial signing held in St. Joseph, MO, USDA Under Secretary for Marketing and Regulatory Programs Bruce Knight said voluntary premises registration provides significant assistance for disease tracking and other biosecurity issues.

Knight told Brownfield the American Angus Association will help USDA on premises registration for the animal id system.

"Remember, we're trying to put in place a national animal ID system. The first order of business is to have all producers of livestock, regardless of the species, register their premises."

"That is basically, in the event of a disease outbreak, whether that's pseudorabies or brucellosis or FMD, we're able to notify folks this is occurring in their community and the most important step is premises registration," said Knight. "Today, the American Angus Association said they are going to turn some of their resources to work with us and they hope to be able to add some 15,000 premises over the next year for animal id."

Knight told Brownfield the benefit to the Angus breeders who participate in animal id is about protecting herd health and economic viability and being a good steward for your neighbor.

"In the event of a catastrophic disease outbreak, what we generally have to do is come in and test and all too often you have to depopulate the animals to control the disease," said Knight. "The faster we can work shaving traceback from days or weeks to hours, the faster we are able to test, the fewer animals have to be depopulated. That in turn means your herd genetics are not sacrificed."

Knight said he is looking for synergies between breed registries and a national animal id system, transitioning to an official numbering system that is rapidly traceable in the event of a disease outbreak.

In recent years, biosecurity issues around the world have prompted action in the United States to avoid similar outbreaks potentially threatening our food supply. It also sparked an overall effort to educate those in production agriculture on the risks and preventative measures associated with biosecurity issues. Traceability, through premise registration, has been identified as one key preventative component in this effort.

Under the agreement, educational efforts will include on-site educational discussions through the Association's Outreach Seminars and other educational programs, print advertising, direct mail as well as e-mail communications. In addition, with the assistance of ABG, Inc., online training programs will be available to cattle producers across the nation. The online program will describe the value and benefits of registering premises and the steps necessary to complete an enrollment.

Founded in 1883, the American Angus Association has registered more than 15 million Angus cattle, with 347,572 head of cattle registered in 2006.

USDA Undersecretary for Marketing and Regulatory Programs, Bruce Knight (mp3 3:32)

HAY MAKER said:

by Cyndi Young

USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) signed a cooperative agreement with the Angus Association yesterday to recognize the cooperative efforts of both groups in the education of the premises registration process and enrollments.

That's about enough to make a feller go back to raising Herefords. :wink: :) :)

Soapweed said:
HAY MAKER said:

by Cyndi Young

USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) signed a cooperative agreement with the Angus Association yesterday to recognize the cooperative efforts of both groups in the education of the premises registration process and enrollments.

Almost :D :D :D ...................good luck

Soapweed said:
HAY MAKER said:

by Cyndi Young

Yep-- from the flack this is causing- apparently its something the AAA Board didn't bring up to their membership for a vote....I wonder how many taxpayer dollars it took to buy the Angus Association and put them in their pocket :???: ... There went the Angus folks credibility....

GW and his cronies don't care its just tax money-- the reason most folks see GW going down as the worst example of a Democrat President in history....Spent more money-built the biggest bureaucracy in the history of the country..

Soapweed said:
Just wondering how many of you have registered your ranch premises at this time? I keep getting letters in the mail, recommending that we accomplish this task. The last one went so far as to insult a person's intelligence and offer a flashlight for a gift as an added incentive. My guess is that "batteries aren't included." :roll: So far, I am dragging my feet. My goal is to be the last rancher in Cherry County to register.

For the record, I am against mandatory country of origin labeling, and I am against mandatory livestock identification. I also realize that either one is completely worthless without the other.

DITTO :clap:

Oltimer wrote "There went the Angus folk's credibility. :???: Seems like that went when the first black bull out of a white one went into the registry. :D :D :D :D

Marty Vanier, DVM, Manhattan, Kan., serves as the associate director of Kansas State University's (K-State's) National Agricultural Biosecurity Center. She added, "It is critical to manage events which help prevent and mitigate the spread of diseases affecting animal health and food safety. The consumer wants to know the product they eat is not only palatable and enjoyable, but most importantly, is safe. The American Angus Association, through the Certified Angus Beef® program, AngusSource® and now through this grant, is illustrating its desire to ensure the safety of the end product for the consumer."

Right there says it all...This Administration and USDA couldn't get US producers to go along with giving away their Constitutional rights and more freedoms from government intrusion--so they decided to use taxpayer money to promote and buy them....
And AAA pimped them away....

Reminds me of the guy that asked the beautiful young woman if she'd sleep with him for a million dollars?
"For a million dollars, yes" she answered..
"Well, will you sleep with me for $5" he asked...
"Nooooo Way, What do you think I am? she screamed..
"Well we've already determined that- now we're just haggling over the price".......

I wonder what the streetcorner price is today.... :???: :( :(

Latest posts