• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ponderings about stirrups and boots

Help Support Ranchers.net:

bverellen

Reaction score
I broke a stirrup today. It's a wonder I didn't break my neck after doing some trick riding trying to get my mare to slow down while I was ringing sideways, but all ended well :D

Anyway, this was one of those polymere types, I don't like it anyway becouse it is too small for me to get my Muck boots in them.

Any suggestions? I found a bunch on the National Ropers website, but there are alot of choices. They would only be used for ranch type work, not any competition type stuff.

Wood, aluminum, 3" wide, slanted, Oxbows. The combinations are endless. What do you use, and why?

Thanks.

bart. †

I won't ride with anything but oxbows anymore...I love them. Mine are rawhide covered wood, but you probably don't want rawhide in Fl. The most important thing is to make sure they are comfortable and big enough! If you have to have two pairs to ride with muck boots get two pair. You don't want your foot stuck!

Make sure they are BIG. Shoer will tell you what its like to be stuck and cant get your feet out. LOL try them out at the store and pick the ones you liek the best.

I use to ride with some rawhide cover stirrups until this winter when I was riding in a pair of muck boots checking cows when my horse started to pitch a fit and my foot right though the stirrup. Let me tell you that is a sick feeling. I ended ordering a pair of 3" aluminum stirrps and have been riding in them for about two months now with mucks on and also normal boots have not had any hang ups and my boots seem to have good grip in them when they get wet from the snow getting kicked up on them.

I ride my muck boots in just a pair of tin bound 5" oak bells
not covered with leather or anything, they are a great fit, there is no way your foot can go through them, you can use them with regular boots.

do NOT get ropers, which are taller from stirup bolt to tread, they are the kind you can get your foot through.

In warmer weather I ride steel oxbows. In the winter I use tin covered oak that my Muck boots fit into. Size is important too small and you can get stuck and too big your foot could go through.

I need to look into buying stock in Muck and Bogs boots. Yesterday I was visiting with about a dozen friends and 11 of us had on one of the two brands of boots. I sure like mine.

Latest posts