• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Portable Corral

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I have never used any of their products but both companies are located in my neck of the woods and have good reputations. I doubt you would go wrong with either one. The portable corrals are becoming more popular and several of my neighbors have them. Two or three guys go together to buy a corral to hold down costs in some cases.

the wilson corral is just about the same as the gobob,i used a wilson and it worked slick http://www.wilsonmfginc.com/

We have the Rawhide corral. It was one of the best purchases our operation has ever made as far as equipment is concerned. I would be hard pressed to tell you any drawbacks. The corral is built sturdy enough that you don't have to worry about the cattle tearing it up. If there is something specific you want to know about it I will try to answer any questions. We would certainly buy one again.

We just purchased a raw hide corrals also. Like rancherfred said it was one of the best things we ever purchased. We had rented one for several years but having it on our place and being able to use it when ever we want sure makes more sense plus now we rent ours out which helps pay for it also. Our ground is sandy and its easy to unroll and get set up. It only takes me about 15 min. to pull in set down and unfold by myself. We added a few more panels on it to make the big pen bigger and to make two pens out of the big one. We carry a few more panels on it to make another load out chute for the cattle pot or stock trailers. They work really great with a double alley way also. I think its the best one on the market compared to a WW.

Dad bought a portable corral in the mid 60's......I think it was a Strohberg, made at Hutchinson, KS. It is still in use today, and it also helped one develop a manly physique as a teen when setting it up or tearing it down by ones self.

While dragging LOOMIX all over the country, one sees about everything there is out there. While I haven't seen any Rawhide corrals, the video made 'em look mighty sweet. I also have the misfortune to live fairly close to Winkel's headquarters, so I have become used to having to deal with their panels on an almost daily basis. I hate those Winkel panels with a passion. Their hook and loop closure is a joke, IMO. Had to take a sledge out yesterday and beat the urine out of one that was frozen in ice to get it free so I could drive into the pasture.

I have relatives who live within 15 miles of Linn, KS, and my uncle always said that they have good stuff. I would tend to agree.

hard to beat anything that comes out of Linn....those guys are just dang good at what they do...

as for Loomix and his teenaged manly physique.....I believe he is refering to his right arm being signifigantly larger than his left..... :wink:

I run cattle on a couple properties, I've condensed into two groups which means more transporting. I was going to build a perm. corral on each property because I'm sick of moving panels, this is like the answer to my dreams. I was also thinking of offering a service, maybe through my vet, not sure what to charge. I emailed the companies of the two links I posted, haven't heard back, what is the price range on these things? The rawhide seemed to flex a little when unfolding, but I guess it's designed to do that, so it will fit uneven ground, a plus in my area. Sometimes things don't get done when they need to and cows don't get moved as soon as they should because it takes me most of a day to move panels, set it up then move the cows.

Can something like these things even put on a truck to ship freight? Or would I have to drive out there?

The GoBobs pipe corral looks like a copy of the Wilson Wheel Corral. We use a Wheel corral and add panels if we need a bigger pen. I would be hard to run cattle here without a portable corral after having one.

I would go with the Wilson if I had my choice. Our neighbor has one and it is the stoutest I have been around. I have seen the Rawhide, but have never worked in it to see how strong it is.

I've always been a fan of the Wilson's...........until the Kansas State Fair last year.

Most all of the manufacturers roll out their new models there, and I can say, without a doubt, that Blattner makes the stoutest ones going. Notice, I did not say the least expensive :shock: :wink:, but a very impressive product.

I had to rethink what I thought I knew, and would sure recommend the Blattner if price isn't the only factor.

They are made in Cimarron, KS, and I don't know about the shipping arrangements?

I just bought a large rawhide and it is great, my neighbors all want to use it now, lol hahahahaha

If you like the wilson corrals you might check for diamond w. The two brothers that ran wilson didn't see eye to eye so one of them moved about 20 miles up the road and started making diamond w. And I know for a fact diamond w delivers, watched them load a trailer today. If anyone needs help finding prices or info let me know I go right by wilson and diamond w almost daily.

The Rawhide will probably be somewhere in the $10-12K range, depending on the dealer you buy it from. I don't know how that compares to the others. The way they achieve the "flexing" in the panels is through their hinges. They aren't welded to the panels, rather they are a sleeve that fits over the end bar on the panel with a ring welded to the panel above and below the sleeve. Then the pipes that the pins go through are welded to the sleeve on the panel. It actually allows about six inches or so of play on both the top and the bottom.

The panels are quite heavy. They advertise it as one man 15 minutes for setup. Maybe, if the ground is concrete and the guy is in really good shape. One guy can do it, but you know you have done some work when you get done. It really helps to have someone helping you and with some practice you can get pretty quick at it.

Gulp....$10 is about what I figured. The thing is, what does it cost to build a good permanent corral? I could use a minimum of three right now. Something portable would really open up my options for finding more leased land.

I would think you could wrap close to 10K if you built 3 permanent corrals figuring materials and labor.....then factor in that you will be married to those permanent fixtures for the next 20 or so years. A four wheeler (or quad) can run up close to the 10K range if you buy new. What would a good used pickup cost? Denny's (or anybody else's) trailers cost enough.

You are correct in that a portable system would open up entirely new options where one is renting grass.

I once had a very prominent and nationally known Angus breeder try to lowball me on the rent on a half section of grass because the place had no corrals. I told him the place had no corrals to make it harder for someone to come in and steal his cattle. (This was in the middle of a series of cattle rustling episodes in my country.) El Kuripot didn't get the pasture rented from me.

Theiving is something to think about with permanent fixtures, too.

Ben

Contact Pete Dusoe at 207-948-3233, He builds a mean panel and about anything else you might want. He is building me some feed panels custom fitted to the barn and some more panels to replace the old wooden gates.

Latest posts