• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Portable Corral

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Pat, if you haven't watched the video, I suggest you do. It's not just a bunch of panels with a carrier, it's a system that folds/unfolds to build a corral for handling tractor trailer loads of cattle. It's all on wheels so there is no lifting and pinning panels together. I wouldn't expect many people to be able to build one of these and have it work as well as these things the first time doing it, unless they're some genius engineer type. But still good to know about a local source for having panels built.

I already have a bunch of panels, chute, 1/4 tub. I wanted to build some perm. corrals because it takes so long to set everything up and take it down.

Reckon Im third person on here who has a rawhide corral. I bought the second largest, and the only thing I would change is I would have bought the largest one.

Its an incredible tool. There is only one drawback and that is mud. Its a huge pain to put out or take up in the mud. The wheels are fairly small so they dont roll through the mud.

We have used ours 4x so far, and in 3 difference places. Its simple to put out and take up...and its built rigidly.

I bought it directly from Rawhide. They were great. The owners son drove from Kansas to meet me in Dallas (Im from Houston) to deliver it.

Our neighbors and half our town know we have it, and have asked to borrow it many times. I only lend it out if I intend to be around to help work the cows through it.

I had a neighbors bull go nuts inside it....could not jump out, but sure managed to re-arrange one of the pens from a semi circle to a point. Its stout and isnt going anywhere, but that bull gave it a go.

Ours was new - price was $11,500 and like I said they met me in Dallas from Kansas to do the trade. I think their prices have come down since the price of materials has come down. There for a while I had heard new ones were going for $15,000 b/c of the price of materials. I highly recommend them!

10718_162584167448_576027448_2715217_7936280_n.jpg

10718_162584117448_576027448_2715208_7690968_n.jpg

10718_162584147448_576027448_2715213_2596260_n.jpg

The raw hide that I bought was $12,000 but it was rented out for about a year. My uncle runs a feed store that was selling them and renting them out so I got a little better deal I think they are priced around $15,000 new but not 100% on that. I didn't like the WW it moved around to much if you got cattle in it and they start to push on the panels, plus when you drive down the road it swings and you got to go slow with it, the rawhide one you can travel down the road at highway speed no problem. One more thing is when you unfold the panels make sure you unhook the chains from each panel. I broke a few chain links not doing that :roll:

I know there are different sizes, but how many cows can the ones you have hold? I rented one this summer and I still had to set up a bunch of panels just to hold a 100 cows. That one didnt seem worth it to me.

We have the larger size and the most cattle we have ever gotten in it was 130 pairs. By the time we got that accomplished there wasn't room for any of them to breathe. The larger size should handle a 100 hd comfortably.

I was paying $150/per day to rent the thing. I sure thought that it was worth it if it keeped me from handling panels at ever pasute to haul and setup.

Did the folks you rented it from require any kind of damage deposit, in case it came back AFU? $150/day sounds reasonable even if it is only 1% of a $15,000 investment. 100 rentals and it's paid for, less the interest on the principal.

We only have 40 pairs, but it accommodated all 40 in the larger side easily (when set up with an alley and squeeze), and then split off the calves for weaning. We actually weaned our calves in this with a hay ring and water trough.

I kept the calves in it for 2 weeks, then moved the cows to another pasture...worked quite well.

The best thing is that you can utilize existing fences, and other things to help you funnel the cattle if you have any skittish ones.

In the 2nd pic I posted the cows are just being herded into the corral. We placed it in a corner and made a long alley between our fencline and our barn, and put a tractor in the gap to make a very long alley into the corral. It worked quite well.

You can build quite a few traps for $12,000-buffalo fence works well. I never had much luck trying to get 150 cows in a 140 cow corral without alot of commotion lol.

The guy that I rented the corral from didn't ask for a Damage deposite but he is a uncle of mine so I guess he thought that I would be safe with it :wink: but he does get them from everyone else. I know last year I got it and the guy before me broke the bar that all the panels hang on. I welded it all up for him and made both of them stronger so it didn't happen again. If I rent it out I will sure make them pay for some sort of deposite on it.

Latest posts