• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

portable corrals

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leveractionman

Reaction score
I'm wondering if Linn's Wrangler portable extra large system is any good or any other portable system is good

The panels on ww for their alley to load or work out of bend real easy. That's what I have. Would pass on one of those. Lots of rawhides around here. Blattner b bar d has one that looks real heavy. Think I would get one of those if I get rid of mine.
The panel wheels role up on a carier instead of arms to hold panels when moving.

I have a Rawhide. :frowns: Here's the good, the bad and the ugly:
It pulls good.
Mine is approximately three years old.
You can drive through it when gathering.
I can't fold it up by myself but I can with my Gator by pushing the panels-carefully together.
The wheels are solid rubber, so never flat but they don't swivel.
I added a second gate at the end of the alley which works as a palpation cage and makes loading a semi easier.
The paint on mine sucks. It's worse than awful. BUT I think they're powder coating now.
Service is beyond 110%.
I can add to it with more panels anytime I choose but the panels are expensive.$500 a pop last time I bought a couple.
I've had cows try to jump out with no success but a stupid 500lb steer went under and bent the crap out of a panel. He bent it because I had the panel supports down. Don't use those things. Let the cows push the pen around. Or back a pickup up to a side if you think you need the support.
Welding on mine was so bad, I thought I'd done it. The two main gates actually fell off the frame. Not at the same time, of course. Two different times but when we needed them most. We re-welded them and added support straps. In defense of Rawhide, they were having some employee issues when I ordered my corral BUT I paid for a quality product and their problems shouldn't have been mine.
I was told about the employee issues during one of my 'complaint' phone calls.
All of the hydraulic couplers have leaked requiring attention.
If the battery goes dead, you can't raise or lower it. BUT you don't have to remove the transport wheels. You just hit the switch to raise or lower it. There is a solar panel feeding the battery.
I have the manual adjustable alley.
I've seen a Blattner. They're heavy. Only thing I wasn't sure about is they're a bumper pull. I've never opened one up. Just moved cattle through it.
I think color is important. There's one that's bright red..is it called The OK Corral? It has a heavy center beam which makes the cattle reluctant to flow. Mine is dark grey with rust highlights :wink:
You have to pick your poison with portable corrals. They're not perfect and they do require some finesse in both man and beast.
You're welcome to come look at mine.

All the good that DeJaVu mentions for my Rawhide corral.......with none of the bad. Best designed piece of equipment I have ever owned.

I'm sure happy to hear about your rawhide, Graybull. Rawhide has moved into a better facility and from what I've seen, it's made a big difference in the quality of product. I've thought about asking what it would cost to have my corral re-painted. That's as far as I've gotten-just thinking about asking! How long have you had yours?

We have an older portable Powder River tub and alley set up. We are thinking of selling it. Any idea what it might be worth? As I said, it's an older one but in good working condition. We've really enjoyed having it.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

After one of the hardest gathers off the spring range I've ever had. Cows are scattered and 20 miles from a corral. By the time I get around them, I don't have enough daylight to make it to a pen. I've really been considering a portable corral with a semi load out. I called rawhide and was quoted 21000 delivered. Looks like a helluva good set up, but I think ill just go buy a bunch of good powder river panels for a lot less money. FH last year I bought a fully sheeted powder river tube and ally with no backs. It was older and had not seen many cattle run through it for 5250. That may give you a starting point.

Ho55 said:
After one of the hardest gathers off the spring range I've ever had. Cows are scattered and 20 miles from a corral. By the time I get around them, I don't have enough daylight to make it to a pen. I've really been considering a portable corral with a semi load out. I called rawhide and was quoted 21000 delivered. Looks like a helluva good set up, but I think ill just go buy a bunch of good powder river panels for a lot less money. FH last year I bought a fully sheeted powder river tube and ally with no backs. It was older and had not seen many cattle run through it for 5250. That may give you a starting point.

Thanks. We were thinking $3500 or something close to that. It's in such a great spot here that we will
offer it to the young man that leases our place first. I've always liked where we set it up. It's been
really handy there.

$21,000??? That would make a person look at his options. :D

There's a guy on Facebook at Cowboy truck n trailer trader has a Wilson corral advertised for sale in Oklahoma.

I've been told Wilson corrals tip over easy when transporting? Ho55 is in some ugly rough country.

Deja Vu...........have had mine for a little over a year.......so sure it is an upgrade from the older ones. Maybe my enthusiasm is boosted by perspective. Have worked a lot of cattle and buffalo in many different poor corrals over the years.

My cousin has a grey OK Corral and it is a great set up. It has winches on the big wing panels that make it a one man job to set up and take down. You can sort through the middle between the 2 wings or load out of the middle. And it has a compartment to haul 2 horses or a pair home if a guy needed to. We like the heck out of it for pairing up cows and calves when we haul out each spring. And it works great when ya have a scatter on things and need a corral where there isn't one. I think you'd love it Ho55. If I remember right, it was $13000 and we got it up to Logan. That's a lot of money to this guy but it was money well spent.

I believe the grey one would be better than the red one. We've helped a neighbor,who has a red one, and the cattle sure notice-too much- that bright red center beam. 4 years ago, my Rawhide was $12,500. A year ago, it was $14,500. Spend it on yourself or pay it in taxes.

Well after another great day of getting no cows loaded and crippled horses and a crippled me, I'll be damned if I'm not going to go buy on of these corrals.

It's one of those things that cost way too much but once you have one you will wonder how you ever got along without it.

Sounds like spring round-up sucks for you. Something you might need to consider is, can you add to whatever corral you buy? I don't know- so can't say, except for the Rawhide. Just trying to think of what needs to be asked. I'm always a lot smarter after I've screwed up!!!!!!!!

DejaVu said:
Sounds like spring round-up sucks for you. Something you might need to consider is, can you add to whatever corral you buy? I don't know- so can't say, except for the Rawhide. Just trying to think of what needs to be asked. I'm always a lot smarter after I've screwed up!!!!!!!!

:D Wonder is we qualify for student loans?

We sure pay for our education. :cowboy: :lol:

I haven't used any other commercial portable outfits besides Rawhide, but I have gotten the privilege of using a privately built one this spring based on Rawhides design. Rawhide would get my vote, unless you have ten bills for steel and three hundred hours of welding time.

We have a linn post and pipe wrangler. Love it, wheels are in the wrong spot on our and can make folding it up a unfolding a little tough but I can still do it myself. Sure beats loading and setting up portable panels

Jake-didn't Linn and Rawhide get into some sort of legal battle over their corrals? Linn was copying Rawhide? No reflection on your corral as Linn has a stellar reputation with their products.

Latest posts