• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Portable windbreak

Help Support Ranchers.net:

3 M L & C

Reaction score
I was going to build me a couple portable windbreaks. Don't have the best windbreak here so would like to move it once in a while to clean spot. I like those galvinized panel that have the holes punched in them that Daniels mfg uses. Anyone have an opinion? Also what type of legs or should a person put some posts in? Any suggestions are appreciated.

We use the Daniels windbreak panels and really like them. They are sure heavy we bought ours 20 years ago so I bet they have change somewhat since then.

We took 5 panels and made hinges on them and hooked them together with running gear and made it portable for moving to different locations. Sure is hand to just pull in, unfold, lower down and move on.

I made my frames out of 2 3/8 inch pipe and screwed on galvanized super steel. I made my legs 12' long and put a slight bend in them at 3 feet on each side. The legs are removable for easy hauling. They are extremely handy and have never blown over yet...

Finally got around to getting some pictures taken. It was a little dark out and i'm a terrible picture taker but they will give you an idea anyhow. You can see how I mounted my removable legs. I just went from 2-3/8 to 2-7/8 so the legs could slide inside and be locked with a set screw. Since then I went to putting pins in the legs instead of a set screw since the legs would still turn.

This is one of the first ones I build and it has just painted super steel and you can see why I switched to galvanized.

[/img]

Circle5 said:
Finally got around to getting some pictures taken. It was a little dark out and i'm a terrible picture taker but they will give you an idea anyhow. You can see how I mounted my removable legs. I just went from 2-3/8 to 2-7/8 so the legs could slide inside and be locked with a set screw. Since then I went to putting pins in the legs instead of a set screw since the legs would still turn.

This is one of the first ones I build and it has just painted super steel and you can see why I switched to galvanized.

[/img]

Looks good - - - I'm glad in this area I can just turn the cattle into the forested hills - - - no wind and they can always find a dry place to lie down.

But with just 18 head they can go into the loafing shed and lie on dry bedding with the full south sun and no wind. I like going into the barn in the morning and seeing fat contented cows!

Circle5 said:

Do you build and sell these?

I unfortunately do not have time to build them for sale. Barely have enough time to build my own. But a good friend of mine will build them for you if you wanted to buy some.

We used combine tires laid on their side stacked two high in the feed lot we built this year.
Thinking of taking two old pivot pipes that are 40' long and laying side by side and laying the tires on them and bolting togather. Can drag them anywhere we want. Can also use telephone poles.

Latest posts