• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Post cutting

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Exactly what I was thinking!
We must cut FH some slack because she doesn't know that area as we do. :ROFLMAO: I remember when I moved from SW Montana to Baker county. Headed up north (I 5 west), in my loaded old pickup pulling a loaded trailer, between Ontario and Durkee as dawn emerged, I said, "Oh dear, what have I done now?" Past Durkee, I saw signs announcing the exit to Pleasant Valley and I thought, "well someone has a morbid sense of humor." I regretted not turning around at Farwell Bend where I had breakfast and the waitress assured me that the farewell just meant the Snake River had turned away and had no bearing on this being my last chance to rethink my hasty decision to find a place where the California wealthy hadn't taken over and made ranch prices out of my financial grasp.

We had BLM ground on our ranch in SE Mt. They were great to work with. We have no complaints,
but I do know as a rule they are out of touch.

Friend rancher had a LOT of remote BLM land. Half his ranch, actually. One day, after a fire on the BLM land, a BLM guy showed up and told the rancher that he was going out to measure the grass. The rancher told him "there isn't any grass out there. We just had a big fire that covered the BLM land plus some of mine. BLM guy went anyway. Soon he was back and said he was going back to town.
Rancher chucked and said, "I told you there wasn't any grass there."
BLM man replied, "No I forgot my scissors, so I need to go back to town and get them".

This is a true story.

Sorry to hijack your thread Leanin, please carry on with more fence post photos and stories. I love photos of old fences, especially with the early barb wire. Do you have any fences your grandpa built with the original barb wire?

Sorry to hijack your thread Leanin, please carry on with more fence post photos and stories. I love photos of old fences, especially with the early barb wire. Do you have any fences your grandpa built with the original barb wire?
I do but I'll have to dig for them. In Nevada for a couple days so I'll have to look when I get home. One of my cousin's kids did a neat fair project with a display of all kinda if barb wire. Ended up winning the state and go to go to the Smithsonian museum as a perk. Pretty cool

So maybe I'm genetically predisposed to cut down cedar posts 😂
I am certain that I am genetically opposed to digging post holes. Here for every place you find to dig a hole you will find 5 places where you need to build some sort of a rock jack. Tee posts are much more likely to find a way down between the rocks.

I am certain that I am genetically opposed to digging post holes. Here for every place you find to dig a hole you will find 5 places where you need to build some sort of a rock jack. Tee posts are much more likely to find a way down between the rocks.
If anyone doing a documentary on range fences south of Baker wonders why some metal posts appear to be driven in crooked and then bent to straighten up, wonder no more. Also, Webfoot isn't exaggerating about what might seem to some as excessive rockjacking. Egypt desert land has pyramids, Eastern Oregon range land has rock jacks. Class dismissed.

In SW Montana we had ROCKS. Lots of rocks. We had some jackleg fences.

Our good old neighbor told a story of attending a sale and met a guy he didn't know. This guy had bought a ranch and he was telling Bill, our good old neighbor, that "in a few places I have rocks."
Bill told him, "in a few places I don't have any."

All 100 are stacked and delivered. Cut the last forty today.
8775DAF2-B729-4FA5-8E91-9D152A912274.jpeg

C221CA07-D0BE-4C19-9168-13645CFA30D6.jpeg

C0B2F62F-2499-40B9-B68F-E956F226CD1E.jpeg

That pile doesn't look any bigger than when you started…………. Sure you aren't taking pictures of a neighbor's yard?😛

Well done H, I have a few miles of four log fence to contract out if you want a retirement job.
You can't afford me. 😁
Plus Jody already wants me at his place on a room and board deal

Latest posts