• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Post Driver off of a Polaris

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Reaction score
Hello all!

Looking to put in 8-10 miles of fence on a ranch in Southeastern Montana soon, so I was shopping around for a suitable post driver. Willing to spend top dollar if it is a quality product that fits my needs! The ground can be pretty hard where I'm headed, so need something heavy duty enough to do wooden posts as well as regular t-posts.

I will have a Polaris Ranger to work off of - does anyone know of any trailered post drivers that would work to hitch onto my Ranger? Going to be going up and down some hills, but not crazy terrain, and my Ranger is rated to tow 2500 lb. capacity. I looked at Wheatheart's trailer version of their Heavy Hitter, but I think the specs are too heavy for my machine.

If no good trailer post driver options are out there that can work with a Polaris, is there a hydraulic post pounder out there that is fairly heavy duty and easy to work with on a one-man job?

Taking any and all suggestions! Also looked at gas powered, but I'm willing to pay extra if a hydraulic or trailer version is out there that is a significant step up and works well off a Ranger. Gas powered seem decent, but being harder ground and all, look considerably slower than other options...

Thanks!

I have used a wheatheart heavy hitter pulled behind my Suzuki Samurai , put in many miles of fence and it handled it very easily. Some was on some pretty good hills, but low range 4x4 and a standard trans made it easy. i would think your ranger isn't much different in weight than my Suzuki. The heavy hitter sure is a nice unit, especially the honda easy start 9 hp engine. I REALLY liked the ability to tip and slide the head in almost any direction. I have also pounded 2 7/8 drill pipe for posts with it , handled it good.

Really? My Polaris tows at 2500lb, but the heavy hitter trailer weighs 2580 on their specs (assuming that's even without any posts on the trailer in the post hauler). You can understand my hesitation in not wanting to kill my Ranger hauling at/over capacity, but maybe I'm being too cautious!

My suzuki is a 1987 long box wheel base 80 inch, and curb weight of 2059 lbs. it has the 1.3 liter stock engine. It is rated to tow 1000 lbs, but handled the heavy hitter with ease. Really its a side by side with a heater, radio, comfortable seats, and airtight cab. lol i would not hesitate to use a ranger, but then maybe i am not as cautious....lol

Latest posts