• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Post pounders

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
I'm thinking of upgrading from our older Linden post pounder to a Wheat Heart. Our old one is PTO driven 4 function controls. I was thinking of going to the Honda motor driven WH so I could pull it with my deck truck or a tractor. Any opinions?

What options, pilot auger, water jet anything else I'm missing? :D

don't hold back, get all the options, including the self-propelled version so that you can do it by your self :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would think that the pilot auger would be helpful if pounding larger corral post's . self-contained hydraulic's would be a must, you could even pull it with your fencing Datsun then

I have a WH. It is an early version without all the new gadgets. In our ground a pilot hole is not necessary with the WH even with 8 foot posts but I can see it would be useful in some conditions. The post hugger might provide a little safety and I would like a hydraulic spike or coulter wheel to keep it from moving on those extreme side slopes.

hayguy said:
don't hold back, get all the options, including the self-propelled version so that you can do it by your self :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would think that the pilot auger would be helpful if pounding larger corral post's . self-contained hydraulic's would be a must, you could even pull it with your fencing Datsun then

I was thinking pretty much what your saying except the "Self propelled " version. I think our country is to rough and it would be just frustrating. Probably work pretty good in flat country where your fencing farmland. :D

There is an article about Art McElroy in the Sask. Cattlemen's Connection this month. I was going to send you a link but it's not on line yet.

I used the Wheat Heart heavy hitter with the 9 hp Honda. Starts every time, also has the post hugger, a nice safety feature. This was the pull type, so the deck moves hyd. fwd and back, side to side along with usual tilts to the head. Can pound a 9 ft post. I fenced some of my land on the Milk River, and could have used the hyd spear on the hill sides.. lol Nice thing about the wheatheart it doesn't take much to tow it... I used a Suzuki samurai 4x4, so I am sure you could use a big 750 quad. The Honda will go all day on a tank of fuel. Definitely sold on the WH.

Me too. One of my best friends is a custom fencer, has 2 Wheathearts. One is rigged up for serious fencing. He moved the controls in front of the hammer, and walks between the pounder and back of tractor while his helper drives, that way he isn't hopping over the guide wire every time he needs a post. He also put 2 hammers on it. Bolted one on in the highest holes of the mast, then the next hammer directly below that, just to give more weight in hard ground. I didn't think it would work until he came to my place to help me build a big corral system.

I had a bucnh of big railroad crossing timbers, and sawed them in 9-10' lengths for gate posts. I had rented a skid steer with an auger to drill holes, but he showed up with that pounder and the skid steer stayed parked. We used a square shovel to chop a hole in the sod to start the timbers going straight, and he pounded them in like nothing. They are a very nice pounder for sure.

Did the extra wieght of the hammer make that big of a differance? How much could a guy add. Was thinking of building a wieght box that would bolt on.

Latest posts