• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pour on........ kills?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
A cattleman down the road was working calves yesterday when his main hired man spilled some pour-on de-wormer on himself. A few minutes later he went into convulsions and died this morning in the hospital.
Don't know the brand yet but will find out. He was a about 35 years old and very healthy.

I've heard this before about the old Warbex. I don't know if they have changed the formula or not. If it kills bugs, it might not be good for humans! :shock:

had a fellow get it on himself here, decades ago, and he died, fast. Nobody since the ivermecs, has died from wormers here.

Mom took a shot of ivomec in her mouth once by accident of course and she is still kicking...this was several years ago. Warbex will knock you flat cold if you get to much of it on you. Will kill cattle with ear in em to...and in a hurry!

This is an old post, but did you figure out what kind it was that killed the poor sap?

TXTibbs said:
Mom took a shot of ivomec in her mouth once by accident of course and she is still kicking...this was several years ago. Warbex will knock you flat cold if you get to much of it on you. Will kill cattle with ear in em to...and in a hurry!

This is an old post, but did you figure out what kind it was that killed the poor sap?

Dang........had almost forgotten about this thread. If I remember right, they said the guy had a stroke and that it was not associated with the de-wormer.

Kinda like the guy in Schleicher County in West Central Texas a few years back that I hauled off dead in the ambulance that had over 300 killer bee stings on his body died of a "heart attack"!!!???

Well hello I think after taking 300 stings anyones heart would explode....

The wormer may of had something to do with it...........

About 3 years ago, Our neighbor's hired man spent 3 weeks in the hospital tied to several machines tring to clean it all out of his system. This man weighed about 350. They had two bunches to do and they used both ivermec on one bunch and cydection on the other. Both came in the 5L with straps that allow you to hang it on your back and walk down the ally working cattle. I think they had either a poor fitting cap or hose. They do not know how much of each actually leaked down the carck of is rear but that evening at supper he collapsed. His wife called 911 and then called a couple of neighbors that helped load him into the pickup and start hauling him to town. They lived about 45 miles out of town. 12 miles of dirt road to the highway. The rest is 4 lane highway. They passed the ambulance about 10 miles out of town, so they just kept going to the hospital. The Doctors said that the only reason that he is alive today is that extra 200 pounds of fat soaked up the pour on and did not let it get to the liver and other organs fast enough to completly disrupt their functions.

For this reason I will never put one of those things on my back where I cannot see if a problem develops. I either tye it to the shoot or let it hang from my hand as I walk down the ally.

Mike said:
TXTibbs said:

Dang........had almost forgotten about this thread. If I remember right, they said the guy had a stroke and that it was not associated with the de-wormer.

I was going to say- I should be dead many times over- because I've been covered with the old Warbex several times, while pouring that in the wind before the fancy squirt applicators- smelled so bad the wife made me strip outside, but never killed me...Figured it, the Copenhagen, and the rotgut Canadian Whiskey kept me from getting worms- the reason I've always been such an easy keeper :wink:

A man in Wyoming always walked in the cattle while they were spraying them for flies during the summer. He contracted Leukemia as a result.

And another rancher got some Warbex in his snuff...and he wound up dead.

Can't be too careful with that stuff.

Oldtimer said:
Mike said:
TXTibbs said:

I was going to say- I should be dead many times over- because I've been covered with the old Warbex several times, while pouring that in the wind before the fancy squirt applicators- smelled so bad the wife made me strip outside, but never killed me...Figured it, the Copenhagen, and the rotgut Canadian Whiskey kept me from getting worms- the reason I've always been such an easy keeper :wink:

Actually, I understand that stuff attacks the brain and heart tissues first.... perhaps it found nothing to work on.... :p

PureCountry said:
For a few seconds there, you 2 had me thinkin' that Ol' JB was back on the boards. :cry: I miss him.

I miss him too. I know he started a new site, but I can't for the life of me remember it. I had an invitation to it once and lost it. I'd like to check in on him and see whats new. One of these days Im gonna be in the market for a saddle, and I've kinda got my heart set on one of his.

Silver said:
Oldtimer said:
Mike said:

Actually, I understand that stuff attacks the brain and heart tissues first.... perhaps it found nothing to work on.... :p

Well the way things happened today that could be true...Day started out with Grandma's new pickup not wanting to run- start, but die- so I had to haul Grandma to work and grandkids- who'd spent the night to school- because the old Oldsmobile wouldn't fire either...I couldn't find anything wrong so called the dealer who came and got it on the rollback...Turned out it was a mouse that had ate thru 2 wires on the insty start- so not covered by warranty- and cost me $135 :( (Could be the same type problem with the Olds as we haven't driven it in a couple weeks- and I found a mouse nest on the engine).....While waiting for the rollback- I was working on the alley way to the chute- and my portable drill battery went dead- and I looked high and low- and couldn't find the spare (Don't know where I stuck that ) :roll:

Then I was wandering around busy looking for new calves and drove into a washout thats only been there 100 years :roll: (able to get out on my own tho)- then had a heifer calving that was piddlying around and thought she might need help-so was getting stuff together and found the 60" chain I had in the OB kit was the one my son had broke while pulling a calf last year :roll: couldn't find the new one I'd bought (don't know where I stuck it)- only a short one and straps- good thing was while screwing around looking for it she had the calf on her own :lol: Then when I came back from tagging calves- when I closed the gate- the top wire broke, so I had to fix that- couldn't find the fencing pliers I always have behind the seat, so had to come back to the shop to get another pair :roll: ...

Decided that was enough- went to the Vet Clinic- bought a new chain- and then headed to the Waterhole for a couple hours of memory refreshment...Still can't remember where anything is- but I feel better about not being able to :roll: :wink: :lol:

Oldtimer said:
Silver said:
Oldtimer said:

Well the way things happened today that could be true...Day started out with Grandma's new pickup not wanting to run- start, but die- so I had to haul Grandma to work and grandkids- who'd spent the night to school- because the old Oldsmobile wouldn't fire either...I couldn't find anything wrong so called the dealer who came and got it on the rollback...Turned out it was a mouse that had ate thru 2 wires on the insty start- so not covered by warranty- and cost me $135 :( (Could be the same type problem with the Olds as we haven't driven it in a couple weeks- and I found a mouse nest on the engine).....While waiting for the rollback- I was working on the alley way to the chute- and my portable drill battery went dead- and I looked high and low- and couldn't find the spare (Don't know where I stuck that ) :roll:

Then I was wandering around busy looking for new calves and drove into a washout thats only been there 100 years :roll: (able to get out on my own tho)- then had a heifer calving that was piddlying around and thought she might need help-so was getting stuff together and found the 60" chain I had in the OB kit was the one my son had broke while pulling a calf last year :roll: couldn't find the new one I'd bought (don't know where I stuck it)- only a short one and straps- good thing was while screwing around looking for it she had the calf on her own :lol: Then when I came back from tagging calves- when I closed the gate- the top wire broke, so I had to fix that- couldn't find the fencing pliers I always have behind the seat, so had to come back to the shop to get another pair :roll: ...

Decided that was enough- went to the Vet Clinic- bought a new chain- and then headed to the Waterhole for a couple hours of memory refreshment...Still can't remember where anything is- but I feel better about not being able to :roll: :wink: :lol:

Sounds like one of my days...spend 2 hours looking for stuff to do a 5 minute job!!! :? :?

OT,you need to take gregs dads position on losing things...."dang grandkids lost my stuff again" :D :D

Gregs brother used pour on without gloves a few years ago,crawled to the house violently ill,Dr said the stuff runs through your bloodstream really fast,can attack your kidneys and liver shutting them down :? USE GLOVES :!:

Mrs.Greg said:
OT,you need to take gregs dads position on losing things...."dang grandkids lost my stuff again" :D :D

Oh I use that one quite often too- but didn't get much sympathy yesterday...Grandma just said to go get another chain- and when you remember where you put the other one- we'll have two.... :shock:
And I think I remembered now that I left the spare drill battery at the north place :shock: :oops:

Now I understand whats wrong with Oldtimer. I guess he was covered too many times with Warbex. Afected his ability to reason.

Latest posts