• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Prairies North magazine

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
We received a couple of copies of the Prairies North magazine in the mail today along with a $50 check for the poem of mine they used. :D

It's their 50th issue and the magazine is 50 things to do (in Saskatchewan) Before You Die. #30 is Hear the Ghosts of the Big Muddy and they used my poem titled Outlaws.

:D :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
We received a couple of copies of the Prairies North magazine in the mail today along with a $50 check for the poem of mine they used. :D

It's their 50th issue and the magazine is 50 things to do (in Saskatchewan) Before You Die. #30 is Hear the Ghosts of the Big Muddy and they used my poem titled Outlaws.

:D :D

That's pretty cool to get both the honor of having your poem published, and a paycheck besides. :wink: Congratulations. :)

Outlaws
By Michael E. Burgess
The Big Muddy Valley
Home of the Cree
Refuge for Sitting Bull
Outlaws trying to flee.
The jingle of a spur
Saddle leather creaks in the night
The shuffle of a barefoot horse
Trying damn hard to stay out of sight.
The lonesome cry of the Coyote
Hear the owl hoot
Ranchers horse to steal
Banks and trains to loot.
A horse named Peanuts
A Bisley revolver caliber 45
Quickness skill and cunning
Would keep Dutch Henry alive.
A mountie gone bad
Frank Carlyle was his name
A shallow grave in a coulee
His only claim to fame.
On the 49th stand Peake Butte
Caves where Outlaws hid
Stolen horses and posse in pursuit
Across the border they slid.
Frank Jones and Red Nelson
Leaders of the outlaw pack
Kid Trailer and Bloody Knife
More than one was shot in the back.
The lonesome cry of the Coyote
Hear the owl hoot
The Outlaws are all buried
On a hill named boot.

Congratulations! I really like the poem. Very full of interesting mind pictures. Thanks for sharing it.

mrj

Faster horses said:
Great poem, BMR. Thanks for sharing.

So, do you write poetry on a regular basis or was this
more a one-time thing?

I have a poem I wrote about our night calver, but I can't
open the folder. :???: :cry: :p

I used to write quite a bit and we traveled to a few poetry gatherings and hosted one here at the ranch when the kids were younger and they participated. Don't write much anymore and that one was from my book.

The magazine wanted me to let you know there is a digital version of the magazine and they have a 'Bucket list" contest of things to do in Saskatchewan.
Check them out a www.prairiesnorth.com

A book. So you wrote a book. What else are you holding out on us? So the ranchin's just a cover or hobby is it? For when you're not hobnobbin' with the rich and famous, knockin' around on BMW's or writing a book? :wink:

No wonder Tam has to swing the hammer herself when something needs built! :lol:

Liked your poem, has a nice flow to it. Don't know why folks think a poemist lets everything else slide just because he has a poetic side. I'm sure you get lots of work done out there in the hills where no one can watch...........Even a super busy guy like Northern gets a poem done every once in a while.

phantom said:
Liked your poem, has a nice flow to it. Don't know why folks think a poemist lets everything else slide just because he has a poetic side. I'm sure you get lots of work done out there in the hills where no one can watch...........Even a super busy guy like Northern gets a poem done every once in a while.

Thanks Phantom, I should have gone in and put it back in it's verses as for some reason when I copied and pasted it went into one.

Burnt you should buy a place in Saskatchewan life is good,fence fixes it's self and hay rolls it's self into bales. :wink:
Don't go to Alberta to much other stuff to do, could play a guy out running around. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts